In a 5 years PhD, is it possible to get a postdoc position with one publication? I can really use some advice The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are InReturning to academia after a year in industryAre informal inquiries about postdoctoral positions liable to be perceived negatively?How do visa issues factor into industry vs postdoc decision in United States?Am I eligible to apply for postdoc?Looking for a postdoc 2 years after PhD completion - no advice from adviserI have published all my PhD papers independently, how get a postdoc position?How can I get a postdoctoral position in neuroscience after completing my PhD in Mechanical Engineering?How to deal with career breaks in CVHow do I prepare for a postdoc position with requirements in working with the theoretical basis of the software, which I have never worked with?What are my prospects to get a Postdoc position with just 1 publication from PhD?

How to manage monthly salary

What do hard-Brexiteers want with respect to the Irish border?

Geography at the pixel level

Pristine Bit Checking

Is three citations per paragraph excessive for undergraduate research paper?

What is the best strategy for white in this position?

aging parents with no investments

JSON.serialize: is it possible to suppress null values of a map?

How to change the limits of integration

Can't find the latex code for the ⍎ (down tack jot) symbol

is usb on wall sockets live all the time with out switches off

What is this 4-propeller plane?

How to reverse every other sublist of a list?

Manuscript was "unsubmitted" because the manuscript was deposited in Arxiv Preprints

Deadlock Graph and Interpretation, solution to avoid

Does it makes sense to buy a new cycle to learn riding?

Time travel alters history but people keep saying nothing's changed

If the Wish spell is used to duplicate the effect of Simulacrum, are existing duplicates destroyed?

Output the Arecibo Message

Idiomatic way to prevent slicing?

How are circuits which use complex ICs normally simulated?

"Riffle" two strings

Should I write numbers in words or as numerals when there are multiple next to each other?

Lethal sonic weapons



In a 5 years PhD, is it possible to get a postdoc position with one publication? I can really use some advice



The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are InReturning to academia after a year in industryAre informal inquiries about postdoctoral positions liable to be perceived negatively?How do visa issues factor into industry vs postdoc decision in United States?Am I eligible to apply for postdoc?Looking for a postdoc 2 years after PhD completion - no advice from adviserI have published all my PhD papers independently, how get a postdoc position?How can I get a postdoctoral position in neuroscience after completing my PhD in Mechanical Engineering?How to deal with career breaks in CVHow do I prepare for a postdoc position with requirements in working with the theoretical basis of the software, which I have never worked with?What are my prospects to get a Postdoc position with just 1 publication from PhD?










6















I am a 5th year Mechanical engineering PhD.



I just have 1 published paper and 3 others are pending with my advisor



I was wondering if I can get some advice on what should my approach towards postdoc applications without publications be like? Almost all of the positions requires sending a reference work to prove for competence.










share|improve this question
























  • Yes, I am mostly interested in how to get a postdoc with my current published record. Industry is definitely a fallback, but highlighting productivity is a crucial aspect of securing a industry position too. Lack of work experience adds to my predicament. I have edited the topic and content to be less dramatic.

    – user106449
    Apr 6 at 11:06












  • @Nat I realize that my future is not as gloomy as I am making it sound, but I am really worried and disappointed with my PhD outcome. I will have to struggle quite a bit longer than initially planned to some stable future.

    – user106449
    Apr 6 at 11:37











  • You may want to specify the country and field to the extent you feel comfortable, as the length of and assumptions about productivity during PhD studies vary a lot.

    – Tommi Brander
    Apr 6 at 14:33















6















I am a 5th year Mechanical engineering PhD.



I just have 1 published paper and 3 others are pending with my advisor



I was wondering if I can get some advice on what should my approach towards postdoc applications without publications be like? Almost all of the positions requires sending a reference work to prove for competence.










share|improve this question
























  • Yes, I am mostly interested in how to get a postdoc with my current published record. Industry is definitely a fallback, but highlighting productivity is a crucial aspect of securing a industry position too. Lack of work experience adds to my predicament. I have edited the topic and content to be less dramatic.

    – user106449
    Apr 6 at 11:06












  • @Nat I realize that my future is not as gloomy as I am making it sound, but I am really worried and disappointed with my PhD outcome. I will have to struggle quite a bit longer than initially planned to some stable future.

    – user106449
    Apr 6 at 11:37











  • You may want to specify the country and field to the extent you feel comfortable, as the length of and assumptions about productivity during PhD studies vary a lot.

    – Tommi Brander
    Apr 6 at 14:33













6












6








6








I am a 5th year Mechanical engineering PhD.



I just have 1 published paper and 3 others are pending with my advisor



I was wondering if I can get some advice on what should my approach towards postdoc applications without publications be like? Almost all of the positions requires sending a reference work to prove for competence.










share|improve this question
















I am a 5th year Mechanical engineering PhD.



I just have 1 published paper and 3 others are pending with my advisor



I was wondering if I can get some advice on what should my approach towards postdoc applications without publications be like? Almost all of the positions requires sending a reference work to prove for competence.







phd advisor postdocs






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Apr 6 at 14:41

























asked Apr 6 at 10:26







user106449



















  • Yes, I am mostly interested in how to get a postdoc with my current published record. Industry is definitely a fallback, but highlighting productivity is a crucial aspect of securing a industry position too. Lack of work experience adds to my predicament. I have edited the topic and content to be less dramatic.

    – user106449
    Apr 6 at 11:06












  • @Nat I realize that my future is not as gloomy as I am making it sound, but I am really worried and disappointed with my PhD outcome. I will have to struggle quite a bit longer than initially planned to some stable future.

    – user106449
    Apr 6 at 11:37











  • You may want to specify the country and field to the extent you feel comfortable, as the length of and assumptions about productivity during PhD studies vary a lot.

    – Tommi Brander
    Apr 6 at 14:33

















  • Yes, I am mostly interested in how to get a postdoc with my current published record. Industry is definitely a fallback, but highlighting productivity is a crucial aspect of securing a industry position too. Lack of work experience adds to my predicament. I have edited the topic and content to be less dramatic.

    – user106449
    Apr 6 at 11:06












  • @Nat I realize that my future is not as gloomy as I am making it sound, but I am really worried and disappointed with my PhD outcome. I will have to struggle quite a bit longer than initially planned to some stable future.

    – user106449
    Apr 6 at 11:37











  • You may want to specify the country and field to the extent you feel comfortable, as the length of and assumptions about productivity during PhD studies vary a lot.

    – Tommi Brander
    Apr 6 at 14:33
















Yes, I am mostly interested in how to get a postdoc with my current published record. Industry is definitely a fallback, but highlighting productivity is a crucial aspect of securing a industry position too. Lack of work experience adds to my predicament. I have edited the topic and content to be less dramatic.

– user106449
Apr 6 at 11:06






Yes, I am mostly interested in how to get a postdoc with my current published record. Industry is definitely a fallback, but highlighting productivity is a crucial aspect of securing a industry position too. Lack of work experience adds to my predicament. I have edited the topic and content to be less dramatic.

– user106449
Apr 6 at 11:06














@Nat I realize that my future is not as gloomy as I am making it sound, but I am really worried and disappointed with my PhD outcome. I will have to struggle quite a bit longer than initially planned to some stable future.

– user106449
Apr 6 at 11:37





@Nat I realize that my future is not as gloomy as I am making it sound, but I am really worried and disappointed with my PhD outcome. I will have to struggle quite a bit longer than initially planned to some stable future.

– user106449
Apr 6 at 11:37













You may want to specify the country and field to the extent you feel comfortable, as the length of and assumptions about productivity during PhD studies vary a lot.

– Tommi Brander
Apr 6 at 14:33





You may want to specify the country and field to the extent you feel comfortable, as the length of and assumptions about productivity during PhD studies vary a lot.

– Tommi Brander
Apr 6 at 14:33










2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















6














I think that any position as a post doc won't be awarded based simply on who has the highest publication count. There is more to it than that. Most positions expect you to fit into a given department or lab in some way and there can be a lot of expectations on that beyond research record. While publications may be important, and more so in some situations, it is unlikely to be the entire story very often.



Read whatever the offering institution says about the kind of skills and person who is desired and match your own skill set to that as best you can. It may be something as simple as expertise in a field, but there may be an expectation of participation in the educational process, especially of grad students. How well do you fit the expectations, however they are. Some special experience may be needed that you may have or not.



Of course, you should list your work in progress as such without overstating it. If the papers are written, then you have titles for the work and abstracts. Try to get something submitted so that the process toward publication is started, at least. Get good letters of recommendation, preferably tailored to your suitability for the specific positions you seek.






share|improve this answer






























    2














    [Misunderstood the question in the first version, edited]




    I just have 1 published paper and 3 others are pending with my advisor




    I agree with Buffy's answer, but it would be useful to clear the backlog of publications with your advisor anyway. With 3 publications waiting, I assume that this has been going on for months, so talk to them to identify the issue:



    • if they think the papers are not good enough for submission, ask them for general guidelines about how to improve them.

    • if they simply don't have time, ask them for a quick proofreading and if they are satisfied enough the paper can be submitted as is. In the worst case it gets rejected and you can improve based on the reviews, this is still better than leaving papers waiting in a drawer.

    When you apply for positions you should mention your pending publications, either as "submitted" (under review) or "accepted, to be published in...". The community is well aware that the publication process can take time and that PhD students tend to produce more publications towards the end of the PhD. If possible, you can also give a link to a preprint version of your paper.






    share|improve this answer

























    • @Anyon right, I can see that now. I'll update my answer

      – Erwan
      Apr 6 at 15:55











    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "415"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    noCode: true, onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2facademia.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f127657%2fin-a-5-years-phd-is-it-possible-to-get-a-postdoc-position-with-one-publication%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown
























    2 Answers
    2






    active

    oldest

    votes








    2 Answers
    2






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    6














    I think that any position as a post doc won't be awarded based simply on who has the highest publication count. There is more to it than that. Most positions expect you to fit into a given department or lab in some way and there can be a lot of expectations on that beyond research record. While publications may be important, and more so in some situations, it is unlikely to be the entire story very often.



    Read whatever the offering institution says about the kind of skills and person who is desired and match your own skill set to that as best you can. It may be something as simple as expertise in a field, but there may be an expectation of participation in the educational process, especially of grad students. How well do you fit the expectations, however they are. Some special experience may be needed that you may have or not.



    Of course, you should list your work in progress as such without overstating it. If the papers are written, then you have titles for the work and abstracts. Try to get something submitted so that the process toward publication is started, at least. Get good letters of recommendation, preferably tailored to your suitability for the specific positions you seek.






    share|improve this answer



























      6














      I think that any position as a post doc won't be awarded based simply on who has the highest publication count. There is more to it than that. Most positions expect you to fit into a given department or lab in some way and there can be a lot of expectations on that beyond research record. While publications may be important, and more so in some situations, it is unlikely to be the entire story very often.



      Read whatever the offering institution says about the kind of skills and person who is desired and match your own skill set to that as best you can. It may be something as simple as expertise in a field, but there may be an expectation of participation in the educational process, especially of grad students. How well do you fit the expectations, however they are. Some special experience may be needed that you may have or not.



      Of course, you should list your work in progress as such without overstating it. If the papers are written, then you have titles for the work and abstracts. Try to get something submitted so that the process toward publication is started, at least. Get good letters of recommendation, preferably tailored to your suitability for the specific positions you seek.






      share|improve this answer

























        6












        6








        6







        I think that any position as a post doc won't be awarded based simply on who has the highest publication count. There is more to it than that. Most positions expect you to fit into a given department or lab in some way and there can be a lot of expectations on that beyond research record. While publications may be important, and more so in some situations, it is unlikely to be the entire story very often.



        Read whatever the offering institution says about the kind of skills and person who is desired and match your own skill set to that as best you can. It may be something as simple as expertise in a field, but there may be an expectation of participation in the educational process, especially of grad students. How well do you fit the expectations, however they are. Some special experience may be needed that you may have or not.



        Of course, you should list your work in progress as such without overstating it. If the papers are written, then you have titles for the work and abstracts. Try to get something submitted so that the process toward publication is started, at least. Get good letters of recommendation, preferably tailored to your suitability for the specific positions you seek.






        share|improve this answer













        I think that any position as a post doc won't be awarded based simply on who has the highest publication count. There is more to it than that. Most positions expect you to fit into a given department or lab in some way and there can be a lot of expectations on that beyond research record. While publications may be important, and more so in some situations, it is unlikely to be the entire story very often.



        Read whatever the offering institution says about the kind of skills and person who is desired and match your own skill set to that as best you can. It may be something as simple as expertise in a field, but there may be an expectation of participation in the educational process, especially of grad students. How well do you fit the expectations, however they are. Some special experience may be needed that you may have or not.



        Of course, you should list your work in progress as such without overstating it. If the papers are written, then you have titles for the work and abstracts. Try to get something submitted so that the process toward publication is started, at least. Get good letters of recommendation, preferably tailored to your suitability for the specific positions you seek.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Apr 6 at 15:12









        BuffyBuffy

        56.9k17179274




        56.9k17179274





















            2














            [Misunderstood the question in the first version, edited]




            I just have 1 published paper and 3 others are pending with my advisor




            I agree with Buffy's answer, but it would be useful to clear the backlog of publications with your advisor anyway. With 3 publications waiting, I assume that this has been going on for months, so talk to them to identify the issue:



            • if they think the papers are not good enough for submission, ask them for general guidelines about how to improve them.

            • if they simply don't have time, ask them for a quick proofreading and if they are satisfied enough the paper can be submitted as is. In the worst case it gets rejected and you can improve based on the reviews, this is still better than leaving papers waiting in a drawer.

            When you apply for positions you should mention your pending publications, either as "submitted" (under review) or "accepted, to be published in...". The community is well aware that the publication process can take time and that PhD students tend to produce more publications towards the end of the PhD. If possible, you can also give a link to a preprint version of your paper.






            share|improve this answer

























            • @Anyon right, I can see that now. I'll update my answer

              – Erwan
              Apr 6 at 15:55















            2














            [Misunderstood the question in the first version, edited]




            I just have 1 published paper and 3 others are pending with my advisor




            I agree with Buffy's answer, but it would be useful to clear the backlog of publications with your advisor anyway. With 3 publications waiting, I assume that this has been going on for months, so talk to them to identify the issue:



            • if they think the papers are not good enough for submission, ask them for general guidelines about how to improve them.

            • if they simply don't have time, ask them for a quick proofreading and if they are satisfied enough the paper can be submitted as is. In the worst case it gets rejected and you can improve based on the reviews, this is still better than leaving papers waiting in a drawer.

            When you apply for positions you should mention your pending publications, either as "submitted" (under review) or "accepted, to be published in...". The community is well aware that the publication process can take time and that PhD students tend to produce more publications towards the end of the PhD. If possible, you can also give a link to a preprint version of your paper.






            share|improve this answer

























            • @Anyon right, I can see that now. I'll update my answer

              – Erwan
              Apr 6 at 15:55













            2












            2








            2







            [Misunderstood the question in the first version, edited]




            I just have 1 published paper and 3 others are pending with my advisor




            I agree with Buffy's answer, but it would be useful to clear the backlog of publications with your advisor anyway. With 3 publications waiting, I assume that this has been going on for months, so talk to them to identify the issue:



            • if they think the papers are not good enough for submission, ask them for general guidelines about how to improve them.

            • if they simply don't have time, ask them for a quick proofreading and if they are satisfied enough the paper can be submitted as is. In the worst case it gets rejected and you can improve based on the reviews, this is still better than leaving papers waiting in a drawer.

            When you apply for positions you should mention your pending publications, either as "submitted" (under review) or "accepted, to be published in...". The community is well aware that the publication process can take time and that PhD students tend to produce more publications towards the end of the PhD. If possible, you can also give a link to a preprint version of your paper.






            share|improve this answer















            [Misunderstood the question in the first version, edited]




            I just have 1 published paper and 3 others are pending with my advisor




            I agree with Buffy's answer, but it would be useful to clear the backlog of publications with your advisor anyway. With 3 publications waiting, I assume that this has been going on for months, so talk to them to identify the issue:



            • if they think the papers are not good enough for submission, ask them for general guidelines about how to improve them.

            • if they simply don't have time, ask them for a quick proofreading and if they are satisfied enough the paper can be submitted as is. In the worst case it gets rejected and you can improve based on the reviews, this is still better than leaving papers waiting in a drawer.

            When you apply for positions you should mention your pending publications, either as "submitted" (under review) or "accepted, to be published in...". The community is well aware that the publication process can take time and that PhD students tend to produce more publications towards the end of the PhD. If possible, you can also give a link to a preprint version of your paper.







            share|improve this answer














            share|improve this answer



            share|improve this answer








            edited Apr 6 at 16:06

























            answered Apr 6 at 14:55









            ErwanErwan

            3,5011017




            3,5011017












            • @Anyon right, I can see that now. I'll update my answer

              – Erwan
              Apr 6 at 15:55

















            • @Anyon right, I can see that now. I'll update my answer

              – Erwan
              Apr 6 at 15:55
















            @Anyon right, I can see that now. I'll update my answer

            – Erwan
            Apr 6 at 15:55





            @Anyon right, I can see that now. I'll update my answer

            – Erwan
            Apr 6 at 15:55

















            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to Academia Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2facademia.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f127657%2fin-a-5-years-phd-is-it-possible-to-get-a-postdoc-position-with-one-publication%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            -advisor, phd, postdocs

            Popular posts from this blog

            Word for a person who has no opinion about whether god existsWord for having a definite opinion while simultaneously withholding judgment?What's the opposite of “newcomer? Is ”veteran" OK?What do you call an “atheist” who might believe in an afterlife?What's a word for someone who wants to voice opinions but not have them challenged?Word for someone who dismisses contrary opinions as irrational?Somone who thinks they are overly special/out of the ordinaryIs there a word, phrase or idiom for “a person who is incapable of thinking about the future”?The belief that a god is human-likeA word for a non-famous person/thing you have heard a lot aboutAdjective for a person who enjoys taking care of their appearance

            2017 IndyCar Series Contents Series news Teams and drivers Schedule Season summary Footnotes References External links Navigation menu"INDYCAR: Initial 2018 bodywork concepts unveiled"the original"IndyCar confirms switch to Performance Friction brakes in 2017""AJ Foyt Racing will switch to Chevy"the original"Carlos Munoz, Conor Daly will drive for AJ Foyt Racing""Zach Veach's Indy 500 Debut Confirmed with Foyt""No mass exodus from Honda after Ganassi switch""Ex-F1 driver Sato joins Andretti Autosport for 2017 IndyCar season""IndyCar's Ryan Hunter-Reay, sponsor DHL paired through 2020""hhgregg and Andretti Autosport announce partnership for key races in 2016""INDYCAR: Rossi re-signs with Andretti"the original"McLaren Formula 1 - Fernando Alonso to race at Indy 500 with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport""Shank will finally take part in Indy 500 with Harvey, Andretti | MotorSportsTalk""Andretti adds Jack Harvey to Indy 500 field""Ganassi switches to Honda power for 2017""INDYCAR: Chilton returns to Ganassi"the original"IndyCar silly season: Who's going where in 2017?""INDYCAR: Kanaan, NTT Data return to Ganassi"the original"Kimball to remain at Ganassi for 2017""Coyne confirms Bourdais for 2017 IndyCar season""Davison to sub for Bourdais in Indy 500"the original"Gutierrez confirmed for Detroit IndyCar debut""Gutierrez returns with Coyne for rest of 2017 season""Vautier to drive for Coyne at Texas"the original"INDYCAR: Coyne confirms Jones for 2017"the original"Pippa Mann returns to Coyne for Indy 500""Karam, Dreyer & Reinbold teaming up again for Indianapolis 500""Pigot to return to Ed Carpenter Racing""Hildebrand confirmed as full-time Ed Carpenter driver""Veach to replace injured Hildebrand at Barber"the originalNew Team Harding Racing Enters Chaves for 101st Indianapolis 500"Juncos Racing Announces Entry in 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 :: Juncos Racing""Juncos confirms Pigot for Indy 500""Saavedra confirmed in Juncos' second 500 entry"the original"Lazier confirms Indy 500 run after son's USF2000 debut"the original"Claman DeMelo to race for RLLR at Sonoma"the original"Rahal signs Servia and ace engineer for 2017""IndyCar: Aleshin returns with Schmidt"the original"Aleshin replaced by Saavedra for Toronto""Jack Harvey will pilot SPM No. 7 car at Watkins Glen, Sonoma""Jay Howard confirmed in Tony Stewart's supported SPM Indy entry""INDYCAR: Newgarden to wave the flag at Penske"the original"Pagenaud opts for No. 1 in 2017"the original"Penske confirms Newgarden for 2017""Montoya to stay with Team Penske in 2017""Target leaving IndyCar after 27 seasons with Chip Ganassi""Cavin: IndyCar could see complete driver/team shakeup in 2017""End of the road for KV Racing?""KV Racing confirms closure, equipment sold to Juncos""Juncos confirms IndyCar Series entry"the original"Juncos readies IndyCar program, aims for '17 500"the original"Harding Racing to add Texas, Pocono to schedule"the original"Sato signs with Andretti Autosport for 2017""INDYCAR: Aleshin in Doubt at SPM"the original"Long Beach notebook: JR Hildebrand breaks hand""Hildebrand cleared to return at Phoenix"the original"Bourdais to undergo surgery on multiple fractures""Aleshin loses Schmidt Peterson IndyCar ride""Saavedra in at SPM for Pocono, Gateway"the original"Bourdais to make return at Gateway"the original"The IndyCar Grand Prix no longer is sponsored by Angie's List""2017 IndyCar Series rulebook""2017 Verizon IndyCar Series Official Rulebook"Official websiteeeeee

            Can I sign legal documents with a smiley face?Do Legal Documents Require Signing In Standard Pen Colors?Is it possible to legally prohibit someone from linking to specific pages on your website?Do scans of signed documents have the same legal power as the original document?What can I do if I signed an excessively restrictive contract?Can other party sneak in new contract terms via termination notice?How to prove that someone forged my signature on a contract that I was not aware of?In Australia, Is it legal to sign a document as somebody else?making a contract that includes video licenceLease dispute, over email and text messageIf you must include all of the natural language prose in a legal document, or if it can be abstracted outE-signing: legal ramifications of “identifying” a person