Cannot install and use nvidia drivers (Wheezy) The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are InNeed proprietary Nvidia drivers not in stable DebianInstalled Wrong Nvidia DriversDebian 8 Jessie and NVIDIA driversNVIDIA drivers as LKMs in Unix: Module nvidia not foundDebian installation not booting after Nvidia drivers installationCannot remove module nvidia nvidia-uvm in order to install driversDebian 9 issue installing nvidia drivers on asus zenbook ux501Issues installing Nvidia drivers in Debian 9Issues with Nvidia driversBlack screen after installing Nvidia drivers on Debian Stretch

Dual Citizen. Exited the US on Italian passport recently

Evaluating number of iteration with a certain map with While

Falsification in Math vs Science

What is the steepest angle that a canal can be traversable without locks?

Output the Arecibo Message

How to create dashed lines/arrows in Illustrator

Why is Grand Jury testimony secret?

A poker game description that does not feel gimmicky

Is this food a bread or a loaf?

It's possible to achieve negative score?

Pristine Bit Checking

Confusion about non-derivable continuous functions

Can distinct morphisms between curves induce the same morphism on singular cohomology?

Should I use my personal or workplace e-mail when registering to external websites for work purpose?

If the Wish spell is used to duplicate the effect of Simulacrum, are existing duplicates destroyed?

How are circuits which use complex ICs normally simulated?

Springs with some finite mass

Deadlock Graph and Interpretation, solution to avoid

Inversion Puzzle

Is bread bad for ducks?

Does a dangling wire really electrocute me if I'm standing in water?

Spanish for "widget"

Why can Shazam do this?

Inline version of a function returns different value then non-inline version



Cannot install and use nvidia drivers (Wheezy)



The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are InNeed proprietary Nvidia drivers not in stable DebianInstalled Wrong Nvidia DriversDebian 8 Jessie and NVIDIA driversNVIDIA drivers as LKMs in Unix: Module nvidia not foundDebian installation not booting after Nvidia drivers installationCannot remove module nvidia nvidia-uvm in order to install driversDebian 9 issue installing nvidia drivers on asus zenbook ux501Issues installing Nvidia drivers in Debian 9Issues with Nvidia driversBlack screen after installing Nvidia drivers on Debian Stretch



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








1















I have a build with the GTX 560 TI card every time I try to install the Linux drivers (with Debian Wheezy and using tecmint.com or debian wiki as a guide), I always end up restarting X or the computer (same thing really) and X never starts correctly.



The closest I got was using the first guide there and I actually got it to say that it couldn't find the device "nvidia" and there were no screens. I'm really not sure what to do from here.



(if there is a log I can provide you with please let me know)










share|improve this question
























  • Do you have an xorg.conf file? If you don't, this is not going to work. If you do, then paste it into your question, please.

    – Faheem Mitha
    Sep 13 '14 at 8:19

















1















I have a build with the GTX 560 TI card every time I try to install the Linux drivers (with Debian Wheezy and using tecmint.com or debian wiki as a guide), I always end up restarting X or the computer (same thing really) and X never starts correctly.



The closest I got was using the first guide there and I actually got it to say that it couldn't find the device "nvidia" and there were no screens. I'm really not sure what to do from here.



(if there is a log I can provide you with please let me know)










share|improve this question
























  • Do you have an xorg.conf file? If you don't, this is not going to work. If you do, then paste it into your question, please.

    – Faheem Mitha
    Sep 13 '14 at 8:19













1












1








1








I have a build with the GTX 560 TI card every time I try to install the Linux drivers (with Debian Wheezy and using tecmint.com or debian wiki as a guide), I always end up restarting X or the computer (same thing really) and X never starts correctly.



The closest I got was using the first guide there and I actually got it to say that it couldn't find the device "nvidia" and there were no screens. I'm really not sure what to do from here.



(if there is a log I can provide you with please let me know)










share|improve this question
















I have a build with the GTX 560 TI card every time I try to install the Linux drivers (with Debian Wheezy and using tecmint.com or debian wiki as a guide), I always end up restarting X or the computer (same thing really) and X never starts correctly.



The closest I got was using the first guide there and I actually got it to say that it couldn't find the device "nvidia" and there were no screens. I'm really not sure what to do from here.



(if there is a log I can provide you with please let me know)







nvidia debian






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Dec 29 '13 at 5:39









Anthon

61.6k17107171




61.6k17107171










asked Dec 29 '13 at 5:17









David BrewerDavid Brewer

1062




1062












  • Do you have an xorg.conf file? If you don't, this is not going to work. If you do, then paste it into your question, please.

    – Faheem Mitha
    Sep 13 '14 at 8:19

















  • Do you have an xorg.conf file? If you don't, this is not going to work. If you do, then paste it into your question, please.

    – Faheem Mitha
    Sep 13 '14 at 8:19
















Do you have an xorg.conf file? If you don't, this is not going to work. If you do, then paste it into your question, please.

– Faheem Mitha
Sep 13 '14 at 8:19





Do you have an xorg.conf file? If you don't, this is not going to work. If you do, then paste it into your question, please.

– Faheem Mitha
Sep 13 '14 at 8:19










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















0














The way I installed proprietary drivers last time (on plain Debian):



  1. I installed a Debian system from scratch (from the offical netinstall iso)


  2. Downloaded the driver to the "Downloads" directory (where things always go when you click "download").


  3. Pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2 (in order to switch to one of the full-screen terminals.)



  4. From the full screen console ran:



    /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop


(To kill the graphic interface. Otherwise the installer won't run)



  1. Then I navigated to the Downloads directory - where the Nvidia driver is ("cd Downloads")


  2. Before running the downloaded installer I had to do:



    apt-get install build-essential

    apt-get install linux-headers*


(Otherwise the installer will complain about these missing and exit)




  1. Then I ran the downloaded file



    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run


The installer complained about nouveau not being disabled, but turned it off for me without problems. Then asked to restart the computer and to run it again after reboot.



reboot


then



cd Downloads
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run


The installer then went through ok and I had to just reboot one final time. That's it.






share|improve this answer

























    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "106"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: false,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: null,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f106964%2fcannot-install-and-use-nvidia-drivers-wheezy%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    0














    The way I installed proprietary drivers last time (on plain Debian):



    1. I installed a Debian system from scratch (from the offical netinstall iso)


    2. Downloaded the driver to the "Downloads" directory (where things always go when you click "download").


    3. Pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2 (in order to switch to one of the full-screen terminals.)



    4. From the full screen console ran:



      /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop


    (To kill the graphic interface. Otherwise the installer won't run)



    1. Then I navigated to the Downloads directory - where the Nvidia driver is ("cd Downloads")


    2. Before running the downloaded installer I had to do:



      apt-get install build-essential

      apt-get install linux-headers*


    (Otherwise the installer will complain about these missing and exit)




    1. Then I ran the downloaded file



      sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run


    The installer complained about nouveau not being disabled, but turned it off for me without problems. Then asked to restart the computer and to run it again after reboot.



    reboot


    then



    cd Downloads
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run


    The installer then went through ok and I had to just reboot one final time. That's it.






    share|improve this answer





























      0














      The way I installed proprietary drivers last time (on plain Debian):



      1. I installed a Debian system from scratch (from the offical netinstall iso)


      2. Downloaded the driver to the "Downloads" directory (where things always go when you click "download").


      3. Pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2 (in order to switch to one of the full-screen terminals.)



      4. From the full screen console ran:



        /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop


      (To kill the graphic interface. Otherwise the installer won't run)



      1. Then I navigated to the Downloads directory - where the Nvidia driver is ("cd Downloads")


      2. Before running the downloaded installer I had to do:



        apt-get install build-essential

        apt-get install linux-headers*


      (Otherwise the installer will complain about these missing and exit)




      1. Then I ran the downloaded file



        sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run


      The installer complained about nouveau not being disabled, but turned it off for me without problems. Then asked to restart the computer and to run it again after reboot.



      reboot


      then



      cd Downloads
      sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run


      The installer then went through ok and I had to just reboot one final time. That's it.






      share|improve this answer



























        0












        0








        0







        The way I installed proprietary drivers last time (on plain Debian):



        1. I installed a Debian system from scratch (from the offical netinstall iso)


        2. Downloaded the driver to the "Downloads" directory (where things always go when you click "download").


        3. Pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2 (in order to switch to one of the full-screen terminals.)



        4. From the full screen console ran:



          /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop


        (To kill the graphic interface. Otherwise the installer won't run)



        1. Then I navigated to the Downloads directory - where the Nvidia driver is ("cd Downloads")


        2. Before running the downloaded installer I had to do:



          apt-get install build-essential

          apt-get install linux-headers*


        (Otherwise the installer will complain about these missing and exit)




        1. Then I ran the downloaded file



          sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run


        The installer complained about nouveau not being disabled, but turned it off for me without problems. Then asked to restart the computer and to run it again after reboot.



        reboot


        then



        cd Downloads
        sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run


        The installer then went through ok and I had to just reboot one final time. That's it.






        share|improve this answer















        The way I installed proprietary drivers last time (on plain Debian):



        1. I installed a Debian system from scratch (from the offical netinstall iso)


        2. Downloaded the driver to the "Downloads" directory (where things always go when you click "download").


        3. Pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2 (in order to switch to one of the full-screen terminals.)



        4. From the full screen console ran:



          /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop


        (To kill the graphic interface. Otherwise the installer won't run)



        1. Then I navigated to the Downloads directory - where the Nvidia driver is ("cd Downloads")


        2. Before running the downloaded installer I had to do:



          apt-get install build-essential

          apt-get install linux-headers*


        (Otherwise the installer will complain about these missing and exit)




        1. Then I ran the downloaded file



          sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run


        The installer complained about nouveau not being disabled, but turned it off for me without problems. Then asked to restart the computer and to run it again after reboot.



        reboot


        then



        cd Downloads
        sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run


        The installer then went through ok and I had to just reboot one final time. That's it.







        share|improve this answer














        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer








        edited Sep 21 '14 at 23:35

























        answered Sep 13 '14 at 5:07









        user83311user83311

        3817




        3817



























            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to Unix & Linux Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f106964%2fcannot-install-and-use-nvidia-drivers-wheezy%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            -debian, nvidia

            Popular posts from this blog

            Word for a person who has no opinion about whether god existsWord for having a definite opinion while simultaneously withholding judgment?What's the opposite of “newcomer? Is ”veteran" OK?What do you call an “atheist” who might believe in an afterlife?What's a word for someone who wants to voice opinions but not have them challenged?Word for someone who dismisses contrary opinions as irrational?Somone who thinks they are overly special/out of the ordinaryIs there a word, phrase or idiom for “a person who is incapable of thinking about the future”?The belief that a god is human-likeA word for a non-famous person/thing you have heard a lot aboutAdjective for a person who enjoys taking care of their appearance

            2017 IndyCar Series Contents Series news Teams and drivers Schedule Season summary Footnotes References External links Navigation menu"INDYCAR: Initial 2018 bodywork concepts unveiled"the original"IndyCar confirms switch to Performance Friction brakes in 2017""AJ Foyt Racing will switch to Chevy"the original"Carlos Munoz, Conor Daly will drive for AJ Foyt Racing""Zach Veach's Indy 500 Debut Confirmed with Foyt""No mass exodus from Honda after Ganassi switch""Ex-F1 driver Sato joins Andretti Autosport for 2017 IndyCar season""IndyCar's Ryan Hunter-Reay, sponsor DHL paired through 2020""hhgregg and Andretti Autosport announce partnership for key races in 2016""INDYCAR: Rossi re-signs with Andretti"the original"McLaren Formula 1 - Fernando Alonso to race at Indy 500 with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport""Shank will finally take part in Indy 500 with Harvey, Andretti | MotorSportsTalk""Andretti adds Jack Harvey to Indy 500 field""Ganassi switches to Honda power for 2017""INDYCAR: Chilton returns to Ganassi"the original"IndyCar silly season: Who's going where in 2017?""INDYCAR: Kanaan, NTT Data return to Ganassi"the original"Kimball to remain at Ganassi for 2017""Coyne confirms Bourdais for 2017 IndyCar season""Davison to sub for Bourdais in Indy 500"the original"Gutierrez confirmed for Detroit IndyCar debut""Gutierrez returns with Coyne for rest of 2017 season""Vautier to drive for Coyne at Texas"the original"INDYCAR: Coyne confirms Jones for 2017"the original"Pippa Mann returns to Coyne for Indy 500""Karam, Dreyer & Reinbold teaming up again for Indianapolis 500""Pigot to return to Ed Carpenter Racing""Hildebrand confirmed as full-time Ed Carpenter driver""Veach to replace injured Hildebrand at Barber"the originalNew Team Harding Racing Enters Chaves for 101st Indianapolis 500"Juncos Racing Announces Entry in 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 :: Juncos Racing""Juncos confirms Pigot for Indy 500""Saavedra confirmed in Juncos' second 500 entry"the original"Lazier confirms Indy 500 run after son's USF2000 debut"the original"Claman DeMelo to race for RLLR at Sonoma"the original"Rahal signs Servia and ace engineer for 2017""IndyCar: Aleshin returns with Schmidt"the original"Aleshin replaced by Saavedra for Toronto""Jack Harvey will pilot SPM No. 7 car at Watkins Glen, Sonoma""Jay Howard confirmed in Tony Stewart's supported SPM Indy entry""INDYCAR: Newgarden to wave the flag at Penske"the original"Pagenaud opts for No. 1 in 2017"the original"Penske confirms Newgarden for 2017""Montoya to stay with Team Penske in 2017""Target leaving IndyCar after 27 seasons with Chip Ganassi""Cavin: IndyCar could see complete driver/team shakeup in 2017""End of the road for KV Racing?""KV Racing confirms closure, equipment sold to Juncos""Juncos confirms IndyCar Series entry"the original"Juncos readies IndyCar program, aims for '17 500"the original"Harding Racing to add Texas, Pocono to schedule"the original"Sato signs with Andretti Autosport for 2017""INDYCAR: Aleshin in Doubt at SPM"the original"Long Beach notebook: JR Hildebrand breaks hand""Hildebrand cleared to return at Phoenix"the original"Bourdais to undergo surgery on multiple fractures""Aleshin loses Schmidt Peterson IndyCar ride""Saavedra in at SPM for Pocono, Gateway"the original"Bourdais to make return at Gateway"the original"The IndyCar Grand Prix no longer is sponsored by Angie's List""2017 IndyCar Series rulebook""2017 Verizon IndyCar Series Official Rulebook"Official websiteeeeee

            Can I sign legal documents with a smiley face?Do Legal Documents Require Signing In Standard Pen Colors?Is it possible to legally prohibit someone from linking to specific pages on your website?Do scans of signed documents have the same legal power as the original document?What can I do if I signed an excessively restrictive contract?Can other party sneak in new contract terms via termination notice?How to prove that someone forged my signature on a contract that I was not aware of?In Australia, Is it legal to sign a document as somebody else?making a contract that includes video licenceLease dispute, over email and text messageIf you must include all of the natural language prose in a legal document, or if it can be abstracted outE-signing: legal ramifications of “identifying” a person