how to (externally) continue running an app being debugged? is it possible at all? The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are InLinux, Debugger program developmentWhat's the difference between Ctrl-Z and kill -STOP?USB not working : USB Ports Hijacked/Reserved Permanently by VirtualBoxWhat is the purpose of delayed suspend (Ctrl-Y) in Bash?Interrupt a slow gdb command?Why is kill -HUP used in logrotate in RHEL? Is it necessary in all cases?Choices for dealing with a signal?Why do we need to send SIGHUP to a newly orphaned process group containing a stopped process?Why doesn't ctrl+u send SIGKILL? stty says it shouldhow signals are handled in linux kernel

Is bread bad for ducks?

What is this 4-propeller plane?

What is the steepest angle that a canal can be traversable without locks?

Lethal sonic weapons

Patience, young "Padovan"

What tool would a Roman-age civilization have to grind silver and other metals into dust?

How to create dashed lines/arrows in Illustrator

Geography at the pixel level

Protecting Dualbooting Windows from dangerous code (like rm -rf)

Could JWST stay at L2 "forever"?

How are circuits which use complex ICs normally simulated?

Output the Arecibo Message

Can the Protection from Evil and Good spell be used on the caster?

What could be the right powersource for 15 seconds lifespan disposable giant chainsaw?

How can I fix this gap between bookcases I made?

Is "plugging out" electronic devices an American expression?

Inversion Puzzle

In microwave frequencies, do you use a circulator when you need a (near) perfect diode?

Where to refill my bottle in India?

"To split hairs" vs "To be pedantic"

What are the motivations for publishing new editions of an existing textbook, beyond new discoveries in a field?

A poker game description that does not feel gimmicky

Why do UK politicians seemingly ignore opinion polls on Brexit?

How to make payment on the internet without leaving a money trail?



how to (externally) continue running an app being debugged? is it possible at all?



The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are InLinux, Debugger program developmentWhat's the difference between Ctrl-Z and kill -STOP?USB not working : USB Ports Hijacked/Reserved Permanently by VirtualBoxWhat is the purpose of delayed suspend (Ctrl-Y) in Bash?Interrupt a slow gdb command?Why is kill -HUP used in logrotate in RHEL? Is it necessary in all cases?Choices for dealing with a signal?Why do we need to send SIGHUP to a newly orphaned process group containing a stopped process?Why doesn't ctrl+u send SIGKILL? stty says it shouldhow signals are handled in linux kernel



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








-1















I am running an app thru nemiver that runs gdb and finally the app.



I need to automatically (in a delayed loop) read the files generated by that app, but for that I need to stop the app to prevent it writing while the files are being read.



If I run kill -SIGSTOP ... on the app, nemiver will show a dialog that in this specific case I need it to not be shown.



I need nemiver and gdb to ignore the external SIGSTOP on the app.



So, I try to SIGSTOP first nemiver, then gdb, then the app, but when trying to make the app continue running (and after that continue also gdb and nemiver), the app will ignore kill -SIGCONT ... and remain stopped.



The app status (on htop) is "t" and not "T".



Unfortunately I dont even know if that trick will let nemiver ignore the external SIGSTOP at all.










share|improve this question

















  • 1





    I don't have nemiver, but assuming it's implemented as a front end to gdb, try giving this to gdb: handle SIGSTOP SIGCONT pass nostop noprint . It should let you stop and start your process without gdb printing anything.

    – Mark Plotnick
    yesterday


















-1















I am running an app thru nemiver that runs gdb and finally the app.



I need to automatically (in a delayed loop) read the files generated by that app, but for that I need to stop the app to prevent it writing while the files are being read.



If I run kill -SIGSTOP ... on the app, nemiver will show a dialog that in this specific case I need it to not be shown.



I need nemiver and gdb to ignore the external SIGSTOP on the app.



So, I try to SIGSTOP first nemiver, then gdb, then the app, but when trying to make the app continue running (and after that continue also gdb and nemiver), the app will ignore kill -SIGCONT ... and remain stopped.



The app status (on htop) is "t" and not "T".



Unfortunately I dont even know if that trick will let nemiver ignore the external SIGSTOP at all.










share|improve this question

















  • 1





    I don't have nemiver, but assuming it's implemented as a front end to gdb, try giving this to gdb: handle SIGSTOP SIGCONT pass nostop noprint . It should let you stop and start your process without gdb printing anything.

    – Mark Plotnick
    yesterday














-1












-1








-1








I am running an app thru nemiver that runs gdb and finally the app.



I need to automatically (in a delayed loop) read the files generated by that app, but for that I need to stop the app to prevent it writing while the files are being read.



If I run kill -SIGSTOP ... on the app, nemiver will show a dialog that in this specific case I need it to not be shown.



I need nemiver and gdb to ignore the external SIGSTOP on the app.



So, I try to SIGSTOP first nemiver, then gdb, then the app, but when trying to make the app continue running (and after that continue also gdb and nemiver), the app will ignore kill -SIGCONT ... and remain stopped.



The app status (on htop) is "t" and not "T".



Unfortunately I dont even know if that trick will let nemiver ignore the external SIGSTOP at all.










share|improve this question














I am running an app thru nemiver that runs gdb and finally the app.



I need to automatically (in a delayed loop) read the files generated by that app, but for that I need to stop the app to prevent it writing while the files are being read.



If I run kill -SIGSTOP ... on the app, nemiver will show a dialog that in this specific case I need it to not be shown.



I need nemiver and gdb to ignore the external SIGSTOP on the app.



So, I try to SIGSTOP first nemiver, then gdb, then the app, but when trying to make the app continue running (and after that continue also gdb and nemiver), the app will ignore kill -SIGCONT ... and remain stopped.



The app status (on htop) is "t" and not "T".



Unfortunately I dont even know if that trick will let nemiver ignore the external SIGSTOP at all.







signals debugging






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked 2 days ago









Aquarius PowerAquarius Power

1,80032139




1,80032139







  • 1





    I don't have nemiver, but assuming it's implemented as a front end to gdb, try giving this to gdb: handle SIGSTOP SIGCONT pass nostop noprint . It should let you stop and start your process without gdb printing anything.

    – Mark Plotnick
    yesterday













  • 1





    I don't have nemiver, but assuming it's implemented as a front end to gdb, try giving this to gdb: handle SIGSTOP SIGCONT pass nostop noprint . It should let you stop and start your process without gdb printing anything.

    – Mark Plotnick
    yesterday








1




1





I don't have nemiver, but assuming it's implemented as a front end to gdb, try giving this to gdb: handle SIGSTOP SIGCONT pass nostop noprint . It should let you stop and start your process without gdb printing anything.

– Mark Plotnick
yesterday






I don't have nemiver, but assuming it's implemented as a front end to gdb, try giving this to gdb: handle SIGSTOP SIGCONT pass nostop noprint . It should let you stop and start your process without gdb printing anything.

– Mark Plotnick
yesterday











0






active

oldest

votes












Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "106"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f511101%2fhow-to-externally-continue-running-an-app-being-debugged-is-it-possible-at-al%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Unix & Linux Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f511101%2fhow-to-externally-continue-running-an-app-being-debugged-is-it-possible-at-al%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







-debugging, signals

Popular posts from this blog

Word for a person who has no opinion about whether god existsWord for having a definite opinion while simultaneously withholding judgment?What's the opposite of “newcomer? Is ”veteran" OK?What do you call an “atheist” who might believe in an afterlife?What's a word for someone who wants to voice opinions but not have them challenged?Word for someone who dismisses contrary opinions as irrational?Somone who thinks they are overly special/out of the ordinaryIs there a word, phrase or idiom for “a person who is incapable of thinking about the future”?The belief that a god is human-likeA word for a non-famous person/thing you have heard a lot aboutAdjective for a person who enjoys taking care of their appearance

2017 IndyCar Series Contents Series news Teams and drivers Schedule Season summary Footnotes References External links Navigation menu"INDYCAR: Initial 2018 bodywork concepts unveiled"the original"IndyCar confirms switch to Performance Friction brakes in 2017""AJ Foyt Racing will switch to Chevy"the original"Carlos Munoz, Conor Daly will drive for AJ Foyt Racing""Zach Veach's Indy 500 Debut Confirmed with Foyt""No mass exodus from Honda after Ganassi switch""Ex-F1 driver Sato joins Andretti Autosport for 2017 IndyCar season""IndyCar's Ryan Hunter-Reay, sponsor DHL paired through 2020""hhgregg and Andretti Autosport announce partnership for key races in 2016""INDYCAR: Rossi re-signs with Andretti"the original"McLaren Formula 1 - Fernando Alonso to race at Indy 500 with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport""Shank will finally take part in Indy 500 with Harvey, Andretti | MotorSportsTalk""Andretti adds Jack Harvey to Indy 500 field""Ganassi switches to Honda power for 2017""INDYCAR: Chilton returns to Ganassi"the original"IndyCar silly season: Who's going where in 2017?""INDYCAR: Kanaan, NTT Data return to Ganassi"the original"Kimball to remain at Ganassi for 2017""Coyne confirms Bourdais for 2017 IndyCar season""Davison to sub for Bourdais in Indy 500"the original"Gutierrez confirmed for Detroit IndyCar debut""Gutierrez returns with Coyne for rest of 2017 season""Vautier to drive for Coyne at Texas"the original"INDYCAR: Coyne confirms Jones for 2017"the original"Pippa Mann returns to Coyne for Indy 500""Karam, Dreyer & Reinbold teaming up again for Indianapolis 500""Pigot to return to Ed Carpenter Racing""Hildebrand confirmed as full-time Ed Carpenter driver""Veach to replace injured Hildebrand at Barber"the originalNew Team Harding Racing Enters Chaves for 101st Indianapolis 500"Juncos Racing Announces Entry in 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 :: Juncos Racing""Juncos confirms Pigot for Indy 500""Saavedra confirmed in Juncos' second 500 entry"the original"Lazier confirms Indy 500 run after son's USF2000 debut"the original"Claman DeMelo to race for RLLR at Sonoma"the original"Rahal signs Servia and ace engineer for 2017""IndyCar: Aleshin returns with Schmidt"the original"Aleshin replaced by Saavedra for Toronto""Jack Harvey will pilot SPM No. 7 car at Watkins Glen, Sonoma""Jay Howard confirmed in Tony Stewart's supported SPM Indy entry""INDYCAR: Newgarden to wave the flag at Penske"the original"Pagenaud opts for No. 1 in 2017"the original"Penske confirms Newgarden for 2017""Montoya to stay with Team Penske in 2017""Target leaving IndyCar after 27 seasons with Chip Ganassi""Cavin: IndyCar could see complete driver/team shakeup in 2017""End of the road for KV Racing?""KV Racing confirms closure, equipment sold to Juncos""Juncos confirms IndyCar Series entry"the original"Juncos readies IndyCar program, aims for '17 500"the original"Harding Racing to add Texas, Pocono to schedule"the original"Sato signs with Andretti Autosport for 2017""INDYCAR: Aleshin in Doubt at SPM"the original"Long Beach notebook: JR Hildebrand breaks hand""Hildebrand cleared to return at Phoenix"the original"Bourdais to undergo surgery on multiple fractures""Aleshin loses Schmidt Peterson IndyCar ride""Saavedra in at SPM for Pocono, Gateway"the original"Bourdais to make return at Gateway"the original"The IndyCar Grand Prix no longer is sponsored by Angie's List""2017 IndyCar Series rulebook""2017 Verizon IndyCar Series Official Rulebook"Official websiteeeeee

Can I sign legal documents with a smiley face?Do Legal Documents Require Signing In Standard Pen Colors?Is it possible to legally prohibit someone from linking to specific pages on your website?Do scans of signed documents have the same legal power as the original document?What can I do if I signed an excessively restrictive contract?Can other party sneak in new contract terms via termination notice?How to prove that someone forged my signature on a contract that I was not aware of?In Australia, Is it legal to sign a document as somebody else?making a contract that includes video licenceLease dispute, over email and text messageIf you must include all of the natural language prose in a legal document, or if it can be abstracted outE-signing: legal ramifications of “identifying” a person