HISTTIMEFORMAT plain doesn't work Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern) 2019 Community Moderator Election Results Why I closed the “Why is Kali so hard” questionsource .bashrc command doesn't workWhy doesn't this regex work?Changing HISTTIMEFORMAT leaves entries with incorrect dateHISTTIMEFORMAT syntaxrun startup.sh doesn't workbase10 doesn't work+ with sed doesn't workStderr redirection doesn't workWhy doesn't source lib/* work?HISTTIMEFORMAT and deleting matching history entries

Models of set theory where not every set can be linearly ordered

"Seemed to had" is it correct?

Single word antonym of "flightless"

If 'B is more likely given A', then 'A is more likely given B'

Did Xerox really develop the first LAN?

Center align columns in table ignoring minus signs?

The logistics of corpse disposal

What's the purpose of writing one's academic bio in 3rd person?

Can Pao de Queijo, and similar foods, be kosher for Passover?

What is the correct way to use the pinch test for dehydration?

What are the motives behind Cersei's orders given to Bronn?

Should I discuss the type of campaign with my players?

How to recreate this effect in Photoshop?

G-Code for resetting to 100% speed

When is phishing education going too far?

Is there a Spanish version of "dot your i's and cross your t's" that includes the letter 'ñ'?

Bonus calculation: Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

How to find all the available tools in macOS terminal?

Is there a concise way to say "all of the X, one of each"?

Dominant seventh chord in the major scale contains diminished triad of the seventh?

How much radiation do nuclear physics experiments expose researchers to nowadays?

I am not a queen, who am I?

Right-skewed distribution with mean equals to mode?

Do you forfeit tax refunds/credits if you aren't required to and don't file by April 15?



HISTTIMEFORMAT plain doesn't work



Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara
Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern)
2019 Community Moderator Election Results
Why I closed the “Why is Kali so hard” questionsource .bashrc command doesn't workWhy doesn't this regex work?Changing HISTTIMEFORMAT leaves entries with incorrect dateHISTTIMEFORMAT syntaxrun startup.sh doesn't workbase10 doesn't work+ with sed doesn't workStderr redirection doesn't workWhy doesn't source lib/* work?HISTTIMEFORMAT and deleting matching history entries



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








2















Setting HISTTIMEFORMAT in bash to get timestamps in the history report just isn't working:



> fgrep HISTTIMEFORMAT ~/.bashrc
export HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
> bash
> history | tail -20
181 git status
182 man git-push
183 history | tail
184 help history
185 export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d.%m.%y %T "
186 history | tail
187 export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%m-%d-%y %T"
188 history | tail
189 HISTTIMEFORMAT="%m-%d-%y %T"
190 history | tail
191 echo $HISTTIMEFORMAT
192 man 3 strftime
193 set | fgrep HIST
194 HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
195 history | tail
196 export HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
197 history | tail
198 bash
199 export HISTTIMEFORMAT
200 history |tail -2
> set | fgrep HIST
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HISTFILE=/home/eewanco/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=200
HISTSIZE=200
HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
> set | fgrep BASH
BASH=/bin/bash
BASHOPTS=cmdhist:expand_aliases:extquote:force_fignore:hostcomplete:interactive_comments:progcomp:promptvars:sourcepath
BASH_ALIASES=()
BASH_ARGC=()
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_CMDS=()
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="4" [1]="1" [2]="2" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu")
BASH_VERSION='4.1.2(1)-release'


I vaguely recall having similar trouble and successfully getting this to work at a previous company with a special trick but I can't remember what it was. The history file is logging timestamps correctly, in fact I was able to get the information I wanted with a date -d @ command, but I want this solved for future usage. I've seen logs of people doing precisely what I did and it works for them. It works fine on my Samsung tablet.










share|improve this question
























  • surely you don't have history aliased to something else, like fc -l? what does alias history say?

    – mosvy
    11 hours ago












  • or better, type history?

    – mosvy
    11 hours ago

















2















Setting HISTTIMEFORMAT in bash to get timestamps in the history report just isn't working:



> fgrep HISTTIMEFORMAT ~/.bashrc
export HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
> bash
> history | tail -20
181 git status
182 man git-push
183 history | tail
184 help history
185 export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d.%m.%y %T "
186 history | tail
187 export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%m-%d-%y %T"
188 history | tail
189 HISTTIMEFORMAT="%m-%d-%y %T"
190 history | tail
191 echo $HISTTIMEFORMAT
192 man 3 strftime
193 set | fgrep HIST
194 HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
195 history | tail
196 export HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
197 history | tail
198 bash
199 export HISTTIMEFORMAT
200 history |tail -2
> set | fgrep HIST
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HISTFILE=/home/eewanco/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=200
HISTSIZE=200
HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
> set | fgrep BASH
BASH=/bin/bash
BASHOPTS=cmdhist:expand_aliases:extquote:force_fignore:hostcomplete:interactive_comments:progcomp:promptvars:sourcepath
BASH_ALIASES=()
BASH_ARGC=()
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_CMDS=()
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="4" [1]="1" [2]="2" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu")
BASH_VERSION='4.1.2(1)-release'


I vaguely recall having similar trouble and successfully getting this to work at a previous company with a special trick but I can't remember what it was. The history file is logging timestamps correctly, in fact I was able to get the information I wanted with a date -d @ command, but I want this solved for future usage. I've seen logs of people doing precisely what I did and it works for them. It works fine on my Samsung tablet.










share|improve this question
























  • surely you don't have history aliased to something else, like fc -l? what does alias history say?

    – mosvy
    11 hours ago












  • or better, type history?

    – mosvy
    11 hours ago













2












2








2


1






Setting HISTTIMEFORMAT in bash to get timestamps in the history report just isn't working:



> fgrep HISTTIMEFORMAT ~/.bashrc
export HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
> bash
> history | tail -20
181 git status
182 man git-push
183 history | tail
184 help history
185 export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d.%m.%y %T "
186 history | tail
187 export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%m-%d-%y %T"
188 history | tail
189 HISTTIMEFORMAT="%m-%d-%y %T"
190 history | tail
191 echo $HISTTIMEFORMAT
192 man 3 strftime
193 set | fgrep HIST
194 HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
195 history | tail
196 export HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
197 history | tail
198 bash
199 export HISTTIMEFORMAT
200 history |tail -2
> set | fgrep HIST
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HISTFILE=/home/eewanco/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=200
HISTSIZE=200
HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
> set | fgrep BASH
BASH=/bin/bash
BASHOPTS=cmdhist:expand_aliases:extquote:force_fignore:hostcomplete:interactive_comments:progcomp:promptvars:sourcepath
BASH_ALIASES=()
BASH_ARGC=()
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_CMDS=()
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="4" [1]="1" [2]="2" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu")
BASH_VERSION='4.1.2(1)-release'


I vaguely recall having similar trouble and successfully getting this to work at a previous company with a special trick but I can't remember what it was. The history file is logging timestamps correctly, in fact I was able to get the information I wanted with a date -d @ command, but I want this solved for future usage. I've seen logs of people doing precisely what I did and it works for them. It works fine on my Samsung tablet.










share|improve this question
















Setting HISTTIMEFORMAT in bash to get timestamps in the history report just isn't working:



> fgrep HISTTIMEFORMAT ~/.bashrc
export HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
> bash
> history | tail -20
181 git status
182 man git-push
183 history | tail
184 help history
185 export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d.%m.%y %T "
186 history | tail
187 export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%m-%d-%y %T"
188 history | tail
189 HISTTIMEFORMAT="%m-%d-%y %T"
190 history | tail
191 echo $HISTTIMEFORMAT
192 man 3 strftime
193 set | fgrep HIST
194 HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
195 history | tail
196 export HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
197 history | tail
198 bash
199 export HISTTIMEFORMAT
200 history |tail -2
> set | fgrep HIST
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HISTFILE=/home/eewanco/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=200
HISTSIZE=200
HISTTIMEFORMAT='%m-%d-%y %T '
> set | fgrep BASH
BASH=/bin/bash
BASHOPTS=cmdhist:expand_aliases:extquote:force_fignore:hostcomplete:interactive_comments:progcomp:promptvars:sourcepath
BASH_ALIASES=()
BASH_ARGC=()
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_CMDS=()
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="4" [1]="1" [2]="2" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu")
BASH_VERSION='4.1.2(1)-release'


I vaguely recall having similar trouble and successfully getting this to work at a previous company with a special trick but I can't remember what it was. The history file is logging timestamps correctly, in fact I was able to get the information I wanted with a date -d @ command, but I want this solved for future usage. I've seen logs of people doing precisely what I did and it works for them. It works fine on my Samsung tablet.







bash






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 10 hours ago









Rui F Ribeiro

42.1k1483142




42.1k1483142










asked 11 hours ago









eewancoeewanco

320212




320212












  • surely you don't have history aliased to something else, like fc -l? what does alias history say?

    – mosvy
    11 hours ago












  • or better, type history?

    – mosvy
    11 hours ago

















  • surely you don't have history aliased to something else, like fc -l? what does alias history say?

    – mosvy
    11 hours ago












  • or better, type history?

    – mosvy
    11 hours ago
















surely you don't have history aliased to something else, like fc -l? what does alias history say?

– mosvy
11 hours ago






surely you don't have history aliased to something else, like fc -l? what does alias history say?

– mosvy
11 hours ago














or better, type history?

– mosvy
11 hours ago





or better, type history?

– mosvy
11 hours ago










0






active

oldest

votes












Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "106"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f512623%2fhisttimeformat-plain-doesnt-work%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Unix & Linux Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f512623%2fhisttimeformat-plain-doesnt-work%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







-bash

Popular posts from this blog

2017 IndyCar Series Contents Series news Teams and drivers Schedule Season summary Footnotes References External links Navigation menu"INDYCAR: Initial 2018 bodywork concepts unveiled"the original"IndyCar confirms switch to Performance Friction brakes in 2017""AJ Foyt Racing will switch to Chevy"the original"Carlos Munoz, Conor Daly will drive for AJ Foyt Racing""Zach Veach's Indy 500 Debut Confirmed with Foyt""No mass exodus from Honda after Ganassi switch""Ex-F1 driver Sato joins Andretti Autosport for 2017 IndyCar season""IndyCar's Ryan Hunter-Reay, sponsor DHL paired through 2020""hhgregg and Andretti Autosport announce partnership for key races in 2016""INDYCAR: Rossi re-signs with Andretti"the original"McLaren Formula 1 - Fernando Alonso to race at Indy 500 with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport""Shank will finally take part in Indy 500 with Harvey, Andretti | MotorSportsTalk""Andretti adds Jack Harvey to Indy 500 field""Ganassi switches to Honda power for 2017""INDYCAR: Chilton returns to Ganassi"the original"IndyCar silly season: Who's going where in 2017?""INDYCAR: Kanaan, NTT Data return to Ganassi"the original"Kimball to remain at Ganassi for 2017""Coyne confirms Bourdais for 2017 IndyCar season""Davison to sub for Bourdais in Indy 500"the original"Gutierrez confirmed for Detroit IndyCar debut""Gutierrez returns with Coyne for rest of 2017 season""Vautier to drive for Coyne at Texas"the original"INDYCAR: Coyne confirms Jones for 2017"the original"Pippa Mann returns to Coyne for Indy 500""Karam, Dreyer & Reinbold teaming up again for Indianapolis 500""Pigot to return to Ed Carpenter Racing""Hildebrand confirmed as full-time Ed Carpenter driver""Veach to replace injured Hildebrand at Barber"the originalNew Team Harding Racing Enters Chaves for 101st Indianapolis 500"Juncos Racing Announces Entry in 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 :: Juncos Racing""Juncos confirms Pigot for Indy 500""Saavedra confirmed in Juncos' second 500 entry"the original"Lazier confirms Indy 500 run after son's USF2000 debut"the original"Claman DeMelo to race for RLLR at Sonoma"the original"Rahal signs Servia and ace engineer for 2017""IndyCar: Aleshin returns with Schmidt"the original"Aleshin replaced by Saavedra for Toronto""Jack Harvey will pilot SPM No. 7 car at Watkins Glen, Sonoma""Jay Howard confirmed in Tony Stewart's supported SPM Indy entry""INDYCAR: Newgarden to wave the flag at Penske"the original"Pagenaud opts for No. 1 in 2017"the original"Penske confirms Newgarden for 2017""Montoya to stay with Team Penske in 2017""Target leaving IndyCar after 27 seasons with Chip Ganassi""Cavin: IndyCar could see complete driver/team shakeup in 2017""End of the road for KV Racing?""KV Racing confirms closure, equipment sold to Juncos""Juncos confirms IndyCar Series entry"the original"Juncos readies IndyCar program, aims for '17 500"the original"Harding Racing to add Texas, Pocono to schedule"the original"Sato signs with Andretti Autosport for 2017""INDYCAR: Aleshin in Doubt at SPM"the original"Long Beach notebook: JR Hildebrand breaks hand""Hildebrand cleared to return at Phoenix"the original"Bourdais to undergo surgery on multiple fractures""Aleshin loses Schmidt Peterson IndyCar ride""Saavedra in at SPM for Pocono, Gateway"the original"Bourdais to make return at Gateway"the original"The IndyCar Grand Prix no longer is sponsored by Angie's List""2017 IndyCar Series rulebook""2017 Verizon IndyCar Series Official Rulebook"Official websiteeeeee

Word for a person who has no opinion about whether god existsWord for having a definite opinion while simultaneously withholding judgment?What's the opposite of “newcomer? Is ”veteran" OK?What do you call an “atheist” who might believe in an afterlife?What's a word for someone who wants to voice opinions but not have them challenged?Word for someone who dismisses contrary opinions as irrational?Somone who thinks they are overly special/out of the ordinaryIs there a word, phrase or idiom for “a person who is incapable of thinking about the future”?The belief that a god is human-likeA word for a non-famous person/thing you have heard a lot aboutAdjective for a person who enjoys taking care of their appearance

Can I sign legal documents with a smiley face?Do Legal Documents Require Signing In Standard Pen Colors?Is it possible to legally prohibit someone from linking to specific pages on your website?Do scans of signed documents have the same legal power as the original document?What can I do if I signed an excessively restrictive contract?Can other party sneak in new contract terms via termination notice?How to prove that someone forged my signature on a contract that I was not aware of?In Australia, Is it legal to sign a document as somebody else?making a contract that includes video licenceLease dispute, over email and text messageIf you must include all of the natural language prose in a legal document, or if it can be abstracted outE-signing: legal ramifications of “identifying” a person