How to collect disk read/write activity over a given period of time? Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern) 2019 Community Moderator Election Results Why I closed the “Why is Kali so hard” questionHow to improve IO when there is a lot of random read and write?Harddrive remaining space does not computeIs there an equivalent to systat in Linux?How to select read/write time and again?How to list all linux processes that had any network activity during some period of time (past or future)?rsyslog filling up /var/log puts the system downHow to know the MTD char device Read/Write details?Limit write cache size for a given device?mount + verify disk status + disk isnt read/writeDisk io stat “averaged” over a period of time

What do you call the main part of a joke?

When a candle burns, why does the top of wick glow if bottom of flame is hottest?

What does "lightly crushed" mean for cardamon pods?

Do jazz musicians improvise on the parent scale in addition to the chord-scales?

Did MS DOS itself ever use blinking text?

Is this homebrew Lady of Pain warlock patron balanced?

What font is "z" in "z-score"?

Should I use a zero-interest credit card for a large one-time purchase?

Where are Serre’s lectures at Collège de France to be found?

What does the "x" in "x86" represent?

What would be the ideal power source for a cybernetic eye?

Is grep documentation wrong?

Can a party unilaterally change candidates in preparation for a General election?

Fantasy story; one type of magic grows in power with use, but the more powerful they are, they more they are drawn to travel to their source

How could we fake a moon landing now?

Has negative voting ever been officially implemented in elections, or seriously proposed, or even studied?

2001: A Space Odyssey's use of the song "Daisy Bell" (Bicycle Built for Two); life imitates art or vice-versa?

Is safe to use va_start macro with this as parameter?

Is it common practice to audition new musicians one-on-one before rehearsing with the entire band?

Wu formula for manifolds with boundary

What does できなさすぎる means?

Is it ethical to give a final exam after the professor has quit before teaching the remaining chapters of the course?

Is it fair for a professor to grade us on the possession of past papers?

How to convince students of the implication truth values?



How to collect disk read/write activity over a given period of time?



Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara
Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern)
2019 Community Moderator Election Results
Why I closed the “Why is Kali so hard” questionHow to improve IO when there is a lot of random read and write?Harddrive remaining space does not computeIs there an equivalent to systat in Linux?How to select read/write time and again?How to list all linux processes that had any network activity during some period of time (past or future)?rsyslog filling up /var/log puts the system downHow to know the MTD char device Read/Write details?Limit write cache size for a given device?mount + verify disk status + disk isnt read/writeDisk io stat “averaged” over a period of time



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








1















Sometimes, especially upon login, I have a lot of disk activity. I can use iotop to see what's doing that at a given moment, but I would like to have an integral table over a given time, say the first 5 minutes after I run it.



I'm interested in the percentage breakdown of the disk activity each program was using over the 5 minutes in total.



Is there a tool or a simple script I can run for that cause?










share|improve this question

















  • 2





    iotop -a?​​​​

    – Stéphane Chazelas
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:01

















1















Sometimes, especially upon login, I have a lot of disk activity. I can use iotop to see what's doing that at a given moment, but I would like to have an integral table over a given time, say the first 5 minutes after I run it.



I'm interested in the percentage breakdown of the disk activity each program was using over the 5 minutes in total.



Is there a tool or a simple script I can run for that cause?










share|improve this question

















  • 2





    iotop -a?​​​​

    – Stéphane Chazelas
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:01













1












1








1


1






Sometimes, especially upon login, I have a lot of disk activity. I can use iotop to see what's doing that at a given moment, but I would like to have an integral table over a given time, say the first 5 minutes after I run it.



I'm interested in the percentage breakdown of the disk activity each program was using over the 5 minutes in total.



Is there a tool or a simple script I can run for that cause?










share|improve this question














Sometimes, especially upon login, I have a lot of disk activity. I can use iotop to see what's doing that at a given moment, but I would like to have an integral table over a given time, say the first 5 minutes after I run it.



I'm interested in the percentage breakdown of the disk activity each program was using over the 5 minutes in total.



Is there a tool or a simple script I can run for that cause?







linux disk-usage io






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Dec 8 '14 at 15:51









SparklerSparkler

3291414




3291414







  • 2





    iotop -a?​​​​

    – Stéphane Chazelas
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:01












  • 2





    iotop -a?​​​​

    – Stéphane Chazelas
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:01







2




2





iotop -a?​​​​

– Stéphane Chazelas
Dec 8 '14 at 16:01





iotop -a?​​​​

– Stéphane Chazelas
Dec 8 '14 at 16:01










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















2














You can use iotop -b (batch mode) inside of a loop based on # of seconds.



That will spit out everything and then redirect it to a file.



I'm trying to find a shell loop example to do that but i don't do shell programming much.



If i started the command by hand, i would run:
iotop -botqk > ~/log-iotop.txt or something similar.






share|improve this answer

























  • Output to a file is handy, but I only need the "last screen" of the iotop -a cummulative output, as @StéphaneChazelas suggested.

    – Sparkler
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:15











  • I think iotop -abtqk might be what you're looking for -- it will output everything for you with timestamps and when 5 minutes are up, press Ctrl C and it will stop. Then you have everything of the last 5 minutes on your screen that you can scroll through.

    – Roger B
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:31







  • 1





    using -abtqk produces duplicates in the ouput and a very large file. it is kinda useful though.

    – Sparkler
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:37











Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "106"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f172135%2fhow-to-collect-disk-read-write-activity-over-a-given-period-of-time%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









2














You can use iotop -b (batch mode) inside of a loop based on # of seconds.



That will spit out everything and then redirect it to a file.



I'm trying to find a shell loop example to do that but i don't do shell programming much.



If i started the command by hand, i would run:
iotop -botqk > ~/log-iotop.txt or something similar.






share|improve this answer

























  • Output to a file is handy, but I only need the "last screen" of the iotop -a cummulative output, as @StéphaneChazelas suggested.

    – Sparkler
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:15











  • I think iotop -abtqk might be what you're looking for -- it will output everything for you with timestamps and when 5 minutes are up, press Ctrl C and it will stop. Then you have everything of the last 5 minutes on your screen that you can scroll through.

    – Roger B
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:31







  • 1





    using -abtqk produces duplicates in the ouput and a very large file. it is kinda useful though.

    – Sparkler
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:37















2














You can use iotop -b (batch mode) inside of a loop based on # of seconds.



That will spit out everything and then redirect it to a file.



I'm trying to find a shell loop example to do that but i don't do shell programming much.



If i started the command by hand, i would run:
iotop -botqk > ~/log-iotop.txt or something similar.






share|improve this answer

























  • Output to a file is handy, but I only need the "last screen" of the iotop -a cummulative output, as @StéphaneChazelas suggested.

    – Sparkler
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:15











  • I think iotop -abtqk might be what you're looking for -- it will output everything for you with timestamps and when 5 minutes are up, press Ctrl C and it will stop. Then you have everything of the last 5 minutes on your screen that you can scroll through.

    – Roger B
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:31







  • 1





    using -abtqk produces duplicates in the ouput and a very large file. it is kinda useful though.

    – Sparkler
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:37













2












2








2







You can use iotop -b (batch mode) inside of a loop based on # of seconds.



That will spit out everything and then redirect it to a file.



I'm trying to find a shell loop example to do that but i don't do shell programming much.



If i started the command by hand, i would run:
iotop -botqk > ~/log-iotop.txt or something similar.






share|improve this answer















You can use iotop -b (batch mode) inside of a loop based on # of seconds.



That will spit out everything and then redirect it to a file.



I'm trying to find a shell loop example to do that but i don't do shell programming much.



If i started the command by hand, i would run:
iotop -botqk > ~/log-iotop.txt or something similar.







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited 11 hours ago









Rui F Ribeiro

42.1k1484142




42.1k1484142










answered Dec 8 '14 at 16:12









Roger BRoger B

213




213












  • Output to a file is handy, but I only need the "last screen" of the iotop -a cummulative output, as @StéphaneChazelas suggested.

    – Sparkler
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:15











  • I think iotop -abtqk might be what you're looking for -- it will output everything for you with timestamps and when 5 minutes are up, press Ctrl C and it will stop. Then you have everything of the last 5 minutes on your screen that you can scroll through.

    – Roger B
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:31







  • 1





    using -abtqk produces duplicates in the ouput and a very large file. it is kinda useful though.

    – Sparkler
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:37

















  • Output to a file is handy, but I only need the "last screen" of the iotop -a cummulative output, as @StéphaneChazelas suggested.

    – Sparkler
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:15











  • I think iotop -abtqk might be what you're looking for -- it will output everything for you with timestamps and when 5 minutes are up, press Ctrl C and it will stop. Then you have everything of the last 5 minutes on your screen that you can scroll through.

    – Roger B
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:31







  • 1





    using -abtqk produces duplicates in the ouput and a very large file. it is kinda useful though.

    – Sparkler
    Dec 8 '14 at 16:37
















Output to a file is handy, but I only need the "last screen" of the iotop -a cummulative output, as @StéphaneChazelas suggested.

– Sparkler
Dec 8 '14 at 16:15





Output to a file is handy, but I only need the "last screen" of the iotop -a cummulative output, as @StéphaneChazelas suggested.

– Sparkler
Dec 8 '14 at 16:15













I think iotop -abtqk might be what you're looking for -- it will output everything for you with timestamps and when 5 minutes are up, press Ctrl C and it will stop. Then you have everything of the last 5 minutes on your screen that you can scroll through.

– Roger B
Dec 8 '14 at 16:31






I think iotop -abtqk might be what you're looking for -- it will output everything for you with timestamps and when 5 minutes are up, press Ctrl C and it will stop. Then you have everything of the last 5 minutes on your screen that you can scroll through.

– Roger B
Dec 8 '14 at 16:31





1




1





using -abtqk produces duplicates in the ouput and a very large file. it is kinda useful though.

– Sparkler
Dec 8 '14 at 16:37





using -abtqk produces duplicates in the ouput and a very large file. it is kinda useful though.

– Sparkler
Dec 8 '14 at 16:37

















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Unix & Linux Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f172135%2fhow-to-collect-disk-read-write-activity-over-a-given-period-of-time%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







-disk-usage, io, linux

Popular posts from this blog

2017 IndyCar Series Contents Series news Teams and drivers Schedule Season summary Footnotes References External links Navigation menu"INDYCAR: Initial 2018 bodywork concepts unveiled"the original"IndyCar confirms switch to Performance Friction brakes in 2017""AJ Foyt Racing will switch to Chevy"the original"Carlos Munoz, Conor Daly will drive for AJ Foyt Racing""Zach Veach's Indy 500 Debut Confirmed with Foyt""No mass exodus from Honda after Ganassi switch""Ex-F1 driver Sato joins Andretti Autosport for 2017 IndyCar season""IndyCar's Ryan Hunter-Reay, sponsor DHL paired through 2020""hhgregg and Andretti Autosport announce partnership for key races in 2016""INDYCAR: Rossi re-signs with Andretti"the original"McLaren Formula 1 - Fernando Alonso to race at Indy 500 with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport""Shank will finally take part in Indy 500 with Harvey, Andretti | MotorSportsTalk""Andretti adds Jack Harvey to Indy 500 field""Ganassi switches to Honda power for 2017""INDYCAR: Chilton returns to Ganassi"the original"IndyCar silly season: Who's going where in 2017?""INDYCAR: Kanaan, NTT Data return to Ganassi"the original"Kimball to remain at Ganassi for 2017""Coyne confirms Bourdais for 2017 IndyCar season""Davison to sub for Bourdais in Indy 500"the original"Gutierrez confirmed for Detroit IndyCar debut""Gutierrez returns with Coyne for rest of 2017 season""Vautier to drive for Coyne at Texas"the original"INDYCAR: Coyne confirms Jones for 2017"the original"Pippa Mann returns to Coyne for Indy 500""Karam, Dreyer & Reinbold teaming up again for Indianapolis 500""Pigot to return to Ed Carpenter Racing""Hildebrand confirmed as full-time Ed Carpenter driver""Veach to replace injured Hildebrand at Barber"the originalNew Team Harding Racing Enters Chaves for 101st Indianapolis 500"Juncos Racing Announces Entry in 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 :: Juncos Racing""Juncos confirms Pigot for Indy 500""Saavedra confirmed in Juncos' second 500 entry"the original"Lazier confirms Indy 500 run after son's USF2000 debut"the original"Claman DeMelo to race for RLLR at Sonoma"the original"Rahal signs Servia and ace engineer for 2017""IndyCar: Aleshin returns with Schmidt"the original"Aleshin replaced by Saavedra for Toronto""Jack Harvey will pilot SPM No. 7 car at Watkins Glen, Sonoma""Jay Howard confirmed in Tony Stewart's supported SPM Indy entry""INDYCAR: Newgarden to wave the flag at Penske"the original"Pagenaud opts for No. 1 in 2017"the original"Penske confirms Newgarden for 2017""Montoya to stay with Team Penske in 2017""Target leaving IndyCar after 27 seasons with Chip Ganassi""Cavin: IndyCar could see complete driver/team shakeup in 2017""End of the road for KV Racing?""KV Racing confirms closure, equipment sold to Juncos""Juncos confirms IndyCar Series entry"the original"Juncos readies IndyCar program, aims for '17 500"the original"Harding Racing to add Texas, Pocono to schedule"the original"Sato signs with Andretti Autosport for 2017""INDYCAR: Aleshin in Doubt at SPM"the original"Long Beach notebook: JR Hildebrand breaks hand""Hildebrand cleared to return at Phoenix"the original"Bourdais to undergo surgery on multiple fractures""Aleshin loses Schmidt Peterson IndyCar ride""Saavedra in at SPM for Pocono, Gateway"the original"Bourdais to make return at Gateway"the original"The IndyCar Grand Prix no longer is sponsored by Angie's List""2017 IndyCar Series rulebook""2017 Verizon IndyCar Series Official Rulebook"Official websiteeeeee

Word for a person who has no opinion about whether god existsWord for having a definite opinion while simultaneously withholding judgment?What's the opposite of “newcomer? Is ”veteran" OK?What do you call an “atheist” who might believe in an afterlife?What's a word for someone who wants to voice opinions but not have them challenged?Word for someone who dismisses contrary opinions as irrational?Somone who thinks they are overly special/out of the ordinaryIs there a word, phrase or idiom for “a person who is incapable of thinking about the future”?The belief that a god is human-likeA word for a non-famous person/thing you have heard a lot aboutAdjective for a person who enjoys taking care of their appearance

Can I sign legal documents with a smiley face?Do Legal Documents Require Signing In Standard Pen Colors?Is it possible to legally prohibit someone from linking to specific pages on your website?Do scans of signed documents have the same legal power as the original document?What can I do if I signed an excessively restrictive contract?Can other party sneak in new contract terms via termination notice?How to prove that someone forged my signature on a contract that I was not aware of?In Australia, Is it legal to sign a document as somebody else?making a contract that includes video licenceLease dispute, over email and text messageIf you must include all of the natural language prose in a legal document, or if it can be abstracted outE-signing: legal ramifications of “identifying” a person