Connected using screen over RS-232. How do I transfer a file to my local system?Send file by xmodem or kermit protocol with GNU screensocat reliable file transfer over TCPssh -> screen -> ssh - how to kill remote screened ssh without killing original ssh sessionFile transfer using YMODEM szTelnet equivalent for USB connected devices?Automatically renew kerberos tickets in GNU screenInstalling and running Devuan over serial consoleHow to run GNU screen in detached mode over serial console and save output?System fails to boot when providing `console` boot parameter to enable serial accessRetrieve file over serial without kermit and lrzszHow to transfer file from remote server to local machine using with ssh

How did Arya survive the stabbing?

How does the UK government determine the size of a mandate?

You cannot touch me, but I can touch you, who am I?

How can we prove that any integral in the set of non-elementary integrals cannot be expressed in the form of elementary functions?

Go Pregnant or Go Home

How to pronounce the slash sign

What does the word "Atten" mean?

Is there a problem with hiding "forgot password" until it's needed?

Where does the Z80 processor start executing from?

Why Were Madagascar and New Zealand Discovered So Late?

CREATE opcode: what does it really do?

Is exact Kanji stroke length important?

Two monoidal structures and copowering

Avoiding estate tax by giving multiple gifts

Hostile work environment after whistle-blowing on coworker and our boss. What do I do?

What can we do to stop prior company from asking us questions?

Lay out the Carpet

Opposite of a diet

What Brexit proposals are on the table in the indicative votes on the 27th of March 2019?

Implement the Thanos sorting algorithm

Is `x >> pure y` equivalent to `liftM (const y) x`

How to Reset Passwords on Multiple Websites Easily?

How many times can American Tourist re-enter UK in same 6 month period?

How do I go from 300 unfinished/half written blog posts, to published posts?



Connected using screen over RS-232. How do I transfer a file to my local system?


Send file by xmodem or kermit protocol with GNU screensocat reliable file transfer over TCPssh -> screen -> ssh - how to kill remote screened ssh without killing original ssh sessionFile transfer using YMODEM szTelnet equivalent for USB connected devices?Automatically renew kerberos tickets in GNU screenInstalling and running Devuan over serial consoleHow to run GNU screen in detached mode over serial console and save output?System fails to boot when providing `console` boot parameter to enable serial accessRetrieve file over serial without kermit and lrzszHow to transfer file from remote server to local machine using with ssh













1















I'm connected to a device over a serial cable and using screen I have full access to the remote system.



How do I transfer an entire file(s) to my local system? Not just the contents of the file, I want the whole thing. I need to send this file as a sample to a third party so they'll want to see metadata, encoding, etc. I want to copy the file exactly as it is, the data it contains isn't really that important.



The remote system is Linux, but a proprietary box so I can't guarantee what tools it has. Local system is running Xubuntu Xenial. I can install packages onto my machine, but not the remote one. My connection is over a USB serial adaptor, so screen is connecting through a ttyUSB.










share|improve this question

















This question has an open bounty worth +50
reputation from Seret ending ending at 2019-04-02 12:55:28Z">in 6 days.


This question has not received enough attention.











  • 1





    Hello Seret. 1. What do you see as "the whole thing" that isn't the contents of the file? 2. What are you running over the serial cable? For example serial TTY, SLIP, PPP. 3. What OS or Distribution are you running on the remote system, and what is "my local system" running? (Please edit your question to answer this - ideally as if you'd provided the information in the first place. Don't reply here in the comments. I can then delete my comment.)

    – roaima
    Mar 20 at 11:08







  • 1





    I assumed, based on the rs-232 in the title and "over a serial cable" in the body. if I'm wrong, I apologize, and it's easy to untag.

    – Jeff Schaller♦
    Mar 20 at 11:37












  • see this post, I think it's a variant of your question: unix.stackexchange.com/questions/56614/…

    – wazoox
    yesterday















1















I'm connected to a device over a serial cable and using screen I have full access to the remote system.



How do I transfer an entire file(s) to my local system? Not just the contents of the file, I want the whole thing. I need to send this file as a sample to a third party so they'll want to see metadata, encoding, etc. I want to copy the file exactly as it is, the data it contains isn't really that important.



The remote system is Linux, but a proprietary box so I can't guarantee what tools it has. Local system is running Xubuntu Xenial. I can install packages onto my machine, but not the remote one. My connection is over a USB serial adaptor, so screen is connecting through a ttyUSB.










share|improve this question

















This question has an open bounty worth +50
reputation from Seret ending ending at 2019-04-02 12:55:28Z">in 6 days.


This question has not received enough attention.











  • 1





    Hello Seret. 1. What do you see as "the whole thing" that isn't the contents of the file? 2. What are you running over the serial cable? For example serial TTY, SLIP, PPP. 3. What OS or Distribution are you running on the remote system, and what is "my local system" running? (Please edit your question to answer this - ideally as if you'd provided the information in the first place. Don't reply here in the comments. I can then delete my comment.)

    – roaima
    Mar 20 at 11:08







  • 1





    I assumed, based on the rs-232 in the title and "over a serial cable" in the body. if I'm wrong, I apologize, and it's easy to untag.

    – Jeff Schaller♦
    Mar 20 at 11:37












  • see this post, I think it's a variant of your question: unix.stackexchange.com/questions/56614/…

    – wazoox
    yesterday













1












1








1








I'm connected to a device over a serial cable and using screen I have full access to the remote system.



How do I transfer an entire file(s) to my local system? Not just the contents of the file, I want the whole thing. I need to send this file as a sample to a third party so they'll want to see metadata, encoding, etc. I want to copy the file exactly as it is, the data it contains isn't really that important.



The remote system is Linux, but a proprietary box so I can't guarantee what tools it has. Local system is running Xubuntu Xenial. I can install packages onto my machine, but not the remote one. My connection is over a USB serial adaptor, so screen is connecting through a ttyUSB.










share|improve this question
















I'm connected to a device over a serial cable and using screen I have full access to the remote system.



How do I transfer an entire file(s) to my local system? Not just the contents of the file, I want the whole thing. I need to send this file as a sample to a third party so they'll want to see metadata, encoding, etc. I want to copy the file exactly as it is, the data it contains isn't really that important.



The remote system is Linux, but a proprietary box so I can't guarantee what tools it has. Local system is running Xubuntu Xenial. I can install packages onto my machine, but not the remote one. My connection is over a USB serial adaptor, so screen is connecting through a ttyUSB.







gnu-screen serial-port file-transfer serial-console






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 23 hours ago







Seret

















asked Mar 20 at 10:39









SeretSeret

565




565






This question has an open bounty worth +50
reputation from Seret ending ending at 2019-04-02 12:55:28Z">in 6 days.


This question has not received enough attention.








This question has an open bounty worth +50
reputation from Seret ending ending at 2019-04-02 12:55:28Z">in 6 days.


This question has not received enough attention.









  • 1





    Hello Seret. 1. What do you see as "the whole thing" that isn't the contents of the file? 2. What are you running over the serial cable? For example serial TTY, SLIP, PPP. 3. What OS or Distribution are you running on the remote system, and what is "my local system" running? (Please edit your question to answer this - ideally as if you'd provided the information in the first place. Don't reply here in the comments. I can then delete my comment.)

    – roaima
    Mar 20 at 11:08







  • 1





    I assumed, based on the rs-232 in the title and "over a serial cable" in the body. if I'm wrong, I apologize, and it's easy to untag.

    – Jeff Schaller♦
    Mar 20 at 11:37












  • see this post, I think it's a variant of your question: unix.stackexchange.com/questions/56614/…

    – wazoox
    yesterday












  • 1





    Hello Seret. 1. What do you see as "the whole thing" that isn't the contents of the file? 2. What are you running over the serial cable? For example serial TTY, SLIP, PPP. 3. What OS or Distribution are you running on the remote system, and what is "my local system" running? (Please edit your question to answer this - ideally as if you'd provided the information in the first place. Don't reply here in the comments. I can then delete my comment.)

    – roaima
    Mar 20 at 11:08







  • 1





    I assumed, based on the rs-232 in the title and "over a serial cable" in the body. if I'm wrong, I apologize, and it's easy to untag.

    – Jeff Schaller♦
    Mar 20 at 11:37












  • see this post, I think it's a variant of your question: unix.stackexchange.com/questions/56614/…

    – wazoox
    yesterday







1




1





Hello Seret. 1. What do you see as "the whole thing" that isn't the contents of the file? 2. What are you running over the serial cable? For example serial TTY, SLIP, PPP. 3. What OS or Distribution are you running on the remote system, and what is "my local system" running? (Please edit your question to answer this - ideally as if you'd provided the information in the first place. Don't reply here in the comments. I can then delete my comment.)

– roaima
Mar 20 at 11:08






Hello Seret. 1. What do you see as "the whole thing" that isn't the contents of the file? 2. What are you running over the serial cable? For example serial TTY, SLIP, PPP. 3. What OS or Distribution are you running on the remote system, and what is "my local system" running? (Please edit your question to answer this - ideally as if you'd provided the information in the first place. Don't reply here in the comments. I can then delete my comment.)

– roaima
Mar 20 at 11:08





1




1





I assumed, based on the rs-232 in the title and "over a serial cable" in the body. if I'm wrong, I apologize, and it's easy to untag.

– Jeff Schaller♦
Mar 20 at 11:37






I assumed, based on the rs-232 in the title and "over a serial cable" in the body. if I'm wrong, I apologize, and it's easy to untag.

– Jeff Schaller♦
Mar 20 at 11:37














see this post, I think it's a variant of your question: unix.stackexchange.com/questions/56614/…

– wazoox
yesterday





see this post, I think it's a variant of your question: unix.stackexchange.com/questions/56614/…

– wazoox
yesterday










0






active

oldest

votes











Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "106"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f507395%2fconnected-using-screen-over-rs-232-how-do-i-transfer-a-file-to-my-local-system%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Unix & Linux Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f507395%2fconnected-using-screen-over-rs-232-how-do-i-transfer-a-file-to-my-local-system%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







-file-transfer, gnu-screen, serial-console, serial-port

Popular posts from this blog

Word for a person who has no opinion about whether god existsWord for having a definite opinion while simultaneously withholding judgment?What's the opposite of “newcomer? Is ”veteran" OK?What do you call an “atheist” who might believe in an afterlife?What's a word for someone who wants to voice opinions but not have them challenged?Word for someone who dismisses contrary opinions as irrational?Somone who thinks they are overly special/out of the ordinaryIs there a word, phrase or idiom for “a person who is incapable of thinking about the future”?The belief that a god is human-likeA word for a non-famous person/thing you have heard a lot aboutAdjective for a person who enjoys taking care of their appearance

2017 IndyCar Series Contents Series news Teams and drivers Schedule Season summary Footnotes References External links Navigation menu"INDYCAR: Initial 2018 bodywork concepts unveiled"the original"IndyCar confirms switch to Performance Friction brakes in 2017""AJ Foyt Racing will switch to Chevy"the original"Carlos Munoz, Conor Daly will drive for AJ Foyt Racing""Zach Veach's Indy 500 Debut Confirmed with Foyt""No mass exodus from Honda after Ganassi switch""Ex-F1 driver Sato joins Andretti Autosport for 2017 IndyCar season""IndyCar's Ryan Hunter-Reay, sponsor DHL paired through 2020""hhgregg and Andretti Autosport announce partnership for key races in 2016""INDYCAR: Rossi re-signs with Andretti"the original"McLaren Formula 1 - Fernando Alonso to race at Indy 500 with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport""Shank will finally take part in Indy 500 with Harvey, Andretti | MotorSportsTalk""Andretti adds Jack Harvey to Indy 500 field""Ganassi switches to Honda power for 2017""INDYCAR: Chilton returns to Ganassi"the original"IndyCar silly season: Who's going where in 2017?""INDYCAR: Kanaan, NTT Data return to Ganassi"the original"Kimball to remain at Ganassi for 2017""Coyne confirms Bourdais for 2017 IndyCar season""Davison to sub for Bourdais in Indy 500"the original"Gutierrez confirmed for Detroit IndyCar debut""Gutierrez returns with Coyne for rest of 2017 season""Vautier to drive for Coyne at Texas"the original"INDYCAR: Coyne confirms Jones for 2017"the original"Pippa Mann returns to Coyne for Indy 500""Karam, Dreyer & Reinbold teaming up again for Indianapolis 500""Pigot to return to Ed Carpenter Racing""Hildebrand confirmed as full-time Ed Carpenter driver""Veach to replace injured Hildebrand at Barber"the originalNew Team Harding Racing Enters Chaves for 101st Indianapolis 500"Juncos Racing Announces Entry in 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 :: Juncos Racing""Juncos confirms Pigot for Indy 500""Saavedra confirmed in Juncos' second 500 entry"the original"Lazier confirms Indy 500 run after son's USF2000 debut"the original"Claman DeMelo to race for RLLR at Sonoma"the original"Rahal signs Servia and ace engineer for 2017""IndyCar: Aleshin returns with Schmidt"the original"Aleshin replaced by Saavedra for Toronto""Jack Harvey will pilot SPM No. 7 car at Watkins Glen, Sonoma""Jay Howard confirmed in Tony Stewart's supported SPM Indy entry""INDYCAR: Newgarden to wave the flag at Penske"the original"Pagenaud opts for No. 1 in 2017"the original"Penske confirms Newgarden for 2017""Montoya to stay with Team Penske in 2017""Target leaving IndyCar after 27 seasons with Chip Ganassi""Cavin: IndyCar could see complete driver/team shakeup in 2017""End of the road for KV Racing?""KV Racing confirms closure, equipment sold to Juncos""Juncos confirms IndyCar Series entry"the original"Juncos readies IndyCar program, aims for '17 500"the original"Harding Racing to add Texas, Pocono to schedule"the original"Sato signs with Andretti Autosport for 2017""INDYCAR: Aleshin in Doubt at SPM"the original"Long Beach notebook: JR Hildebrand breaks hand""Hildebrand cleared to return at Phoenix"the original"Bourdais to undergo surgery on multiple fractures""Aleshin loses Schmidt Peterson IndyCar ride""Saavedra in at SPM for Pocono, Gateway"the original"Bourdais to make return at Gateway"the original"The IndyCar Grand Prix no longer is sponsored by Angie's List""2017 IndyCar Series rulebook""2017 Verizon IndyCar Series Official Rulebook"Official websiteeeeee

Can I sign legal documents with a smiley face?Do Legal Documents Require Signing In Standard Pen Colors?Is it possible to legally prohibit someone from linking to specific pages on your website?Do scans of signed documents have the same legal power as the original document?What can I do if I signed an excessively restrictive contract?Can other party sneak in new contract terms via termination notice?How to prove that someone forged my signature on a contract that I was not aware of?In Australia, Is it legal to sign a document as somebody else?making a contract that includes video licenceLease dispute, over email and text messageIf you must include all of the natural language prose in a legal document, or if it can be abstracted outE-signing: legal ramifications of “identifying” a person