Unable to delete a file without permissions etc2019 Community Moderator ElectionWindows Changes File Permissions in Samba File SharesFiles missing from NTFS drive and drive is split into manyHow to delete this undeletable directory?How do I delete directory and file, if .picasa.ini is the only file in the directory?Why can't root delete a file?What happens step by step when using “rm -rf directory”?How can I view my virtualbox guest unix filesystem from the host windows file/text editor?Mounting old windows 98 shareRemove default_realm from krb5.conf file CentOS 7CentOS Server file permissions

Examples of a statistic that is not independent of sample's distribution?

When traveling to Europe from North America, do I need to purchase a different power strip?

'The literal of type int is out of range' con número enteros pequeños (2 dígitos)

Declaring and defining template, and specialising them

Find longest word in a string: are any of these algorithms good?

How did Alan Turing break the enigma code using the hint given by the lady in the bar?

How can I get players to stop ignoring or overlooking the plot hooks I'm giving them?

Virginia employer terminated employee and wants signing bonus returned

Vocabulary for giving just numbers, not a full answer

Signed and unsigned numbers

Makefile strange variable substitution

Doesn't allowing a user mode program to access kernel space memory and execute the IN and OUT instructions defeat the purpose of having CPU modes?

Can you reject a postdoc offer after the PI has paid a large sum for flights/accommodation for your visit?

If I receive an SOS signal, what is the proper response?

Conservation of Mass and Energy

Does "Until when" sound natural for native speakers?

Reverse string, can I make it faster?

Reversed Sudoku

Why does the negative sign arise in this thermodynamic relation?

Accountant/ lawyer will not return my call

What are actual Tesla M60 models used by AWS?

Do items de-spawn in Diablo?

PTIJ: wiping amalek’s memory?

Why doesn't this Google Translate ad use the word "Translation" instead of "Translate"?



Unable to delete a file without permissions etc



2019 Community Moderator ElectionWindows Changes File Permissions in Samba File SharesFiles missing from NTFS drive and drive is split into manyHow to delete this undeletable directory?How do I delete directory and file, if .picasa.ini is the only file in the directory?Why can't root delete a file?What happens step by step when using “rm -rf directory”?How can I view my virtualbox guest unix filesystem from the host windows file/text editor?Mounting old windows 98 shareRemove default_realm from krb5.conf file CentOS 7CentOS Server file permissions










0















I have a file in Windows XP left over after deleting Google Chrome. Its location is



C:Documents and SettingsAdminLocal SettingsApplication DataGoogleChromeUser DataDefaultold_Cache_000


The file name has 4 and 3 square boxes after that and also the file changes to weird names after trying to delete in Windows. The file size is 0 bytes.
I have tried every software available by using Google and different solutions but nothing worked.



So I installed CentOS 6 in Virtualbox and used shared folders to access the Windows folders in CentOS. I have previously used Ubuntu but there were other problems, so, I switched to CentOS.



Now the location of file is media/sf_Documents and Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/old_Cache_000.



I am unable to delete the old_Cache_000 directory because it shows the directory is not empty. The result of ls -laR gives,



[root@localhost old_Cache_000]# ls -laR
.:
ls: cannot access 4═: No such file or directory
total 0
drwxrwx---. 1 root vboxsf 0 Jun 16 2012 .
drwxrwx---. 1 root vboxsf 0 Jun 7 2012 ..
??????????? ? ? ? ? ? 4?═?


The last line above shows the non-deletable file.



How to delete that file or its parent directory?










share|improve this question
















bumped to the homepage by Community♦ 3 hours ago


This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.










  • 1





    Probably a corrupt filesystem. Did you try fsck.vfat (is this a vfat filesystem)? Make sure you image the volume before trying to run this, if it's a drive you care about, though (e.g. cat /dev/hdX > driveimage.img).

    – transistor1
    Sep 30 '14 at 1:26












  • What about rm -vR /media/sf_Documents and Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/old_Cache_000?

    – eyoung100
    Sep 30 '14 at 23:44















0















I have a file in Windows XP left over after deleting Google Chrome. Its location is



C:Documents and SettingsAdminLocal SettingsApplication DataGoogleChromeUser DataDefaultold_Cache_000


The file name has 4 and 3 square boxes after that and also the file changes to weird names after trying to delete in Windows. The file size is 0 bytes.
I have tried every software available by using Google and different solutions but nothing worked.



So I installed CentOS 6 in Virtualbox and used shared folders to access the Windows folders in CentOS. I have previously used Ubuntu but there were other problems, so, I switched to CentOS.



Now the location of file is media/sf_Documents and Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/old_Cache_000.



I am unable to delete the old_Cache_000 directory because it shows the directory is not empty. The result of ls -laR gives,



[root@localhost old_Cache_000]# ls -laR
.:
ls: cannot access 4═: No such file or directory
total 0
drwxrwx---. 1 root vboxsf 0 Jun 16 2012 .
drwxrwx---. 1 root vboxsf 0 Jun 7 2012 ..
??????????? ? ? ? ? ? 4?═?


The last line above shows the non-deletable file.



How to delete that file or its parent directory?










share|improve this question
















bumped to the homepage by Community♦ 3 hours ago


This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.










  • 1





    Probably a corrupt filesystem. Did you try fsck.vfat (is this a vfat filesystem)? Make sure you image the volume before trying to run this, if it's a drive you care about, though (e.g. cat /dev/hdX > driveimage.img).

    – transistor1
    Sep 30 '14 at 1:26












  • What about rm -vR /media/sf_Documents and Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/old_Cache_000?

    – eyoung100
    Sep 30 '14 at 23:44













0












0








0








I have a file in Windows XP left over after deleting Google Chrome. Its location is



C:Documents and SettingsAdminLocal SettingsApplication DataGoogleChromeUser DataDefaultold_Cache_000


The file name has 4 and 3 square boxes after that and also the file changes to weird names after trying to delete in Windows. The file size is 0 bytes.
I have tried every software available by using Google and different solutions but nothing worked.



So I installed CentOS 6 in Virtualbox and used shared folders to access the Windows folders in CentOS. I have previously used Ubuntu but there were other problems, so, I switched to CentOS.



Now the location of file is media/sf_Documents and Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/old_Cache_000.



I am unable to delete the old_Cache_000 directory because it shows the directory is not empty. The result of ls -laR gives,



[root@localhost old_Cache_000]# ls -laR
.:
ls: cannot access 4═: No such file or directory
total 0
drwxrwx---. 1 root vboxsf 0 Jun 16 2012 .
drwxrwx---. 1 root vboxsf 0 Jun 7 2012 ..
??????????? ? ? ? ? ? 4?═?


The last line above shows the non-deletable file.



How to delete that file or its parent directory?










share|improve this question
















I have a file in Windows XP left over after deleting Google Chrome. Its location is



C:Documents and SettingsAdminLocal SettingsApplication DataGoogleChromeUser DataDefaultold_Cache_000


The file name has 4 and 3 square boxes after that and also the file changes to weird names after trying to delete in Windows. The file size is 0 bytes.
I have tried every software available by using Google and different solutions but nothing worked.



So I installed CentOS 6 in Virtualbox and used shared folders to access the Windows folders in CentOS. I have previously used Ubuntu but there were other problems, so, I switched to CentOS.



Now the location of file is media/sf_Documents and Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/old_Cache_000.



I am unable to delete the old_Cache_000 directory because it shows the directory is not empty. The result of ls -laR gives,



[root@localhost old_Cache_000]# ls -laR
.:
ls: cannot access 4═: No such file or directory
total 0
drwxrwx---. 1 root vboxsf 0 Jun 16 2012 .
drwxrwx---. 1 root vboxsf 0 Jun 7 2012 ..
??????????? ? ? ? ? ? 4?═?


The last line above shows the non-deletable file.



How to delete that file or its parent directory?







files windows rm






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Sep 30 '14 at 21:12









Gilles

541k12810951611




541k12810951611










asked Sep 30 '14 at 0:27









billabilla

21114




21114





bumped to the homepage by Community♦ 3 hours ago


This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.







bumped to the homepage by Community♦ 3 hours ago


This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.









  • 1





    Probably a corrupt filesystem. Did you try fsck.vfat (is this a vfat filesystem)? Make sure you image the volume before trying to run this, if it's a drive you care about, though (e.g. cat /dev/hdX > driveimage.img).

    – transistor1
    Sep 30 '14 at 1:26












  • What about rm -vR /media/sf_Documents and Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/old_Cache_000?

    – eyoung100
    Sep 30 '14 at 23:44












  • 1





    Probably a corrupt filesystem. Did you try fsck.vfat (is this a vfat filesystem)? Make sure you image the volume before trying to run this, if it's a drive you care about, though (e.g. cat /dev/hdX > driveimage.img).

    – transistor1
    Sep 30 '14 at 1:26












  • What about rm -vR /media/sf_Documents and Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/old_Cache_000?

    – eyoung100
    Sep 30 '14 at 23:44







1




1





Probably a corrupt filesystem. Did you try fsck.vfat (is this a vfat filesystem)? Make sure you image the volume before trying to run this, if it's a drive you care about, though (e.g. cat /dev/hdX > driveimage.img).

– transistor1
Sep 30 '14 at 1:26






Probably a corrupt filesystem. Did you try fsck.vfat (is this a vfat filesystem)? Make sure you image the volume before trying to run this, if it's a drive you care about, though (e.g. cat /dev/hdX > driveimage.img).

– transistor1
Sep 30 '14 at 1:26














What about rm -vR /media/sf_Documents and Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/old_Cache_000?

– eyoung100
Sep 30 '14 at 23:44





What about rm -vR /media/sf_Documents and Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/old_Cache_000?

– eyoung100
Sep 30 '14 at 23:44










3 Answers
3






active

oldest

votes


















0














Not sure why this is posted here since your problem is with a a native windows system.



I would recommend opening a command prompt and running CHKDSK /F then reboot your PC. This will check for problems on your Windows disk. I would highly recommend against trying to delete something through virtualbox if you cannot get rid of it through Windows itself.



You can use hijackthis to delete files and directories which are currently in use a the next reboot.






share|improve this answer























  • Do you think I would have posted this question if it is that simple.Maybe you didn't read the query completely-"I have tried every software available by using google and different solutions but nothing worked."

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:21











  • @billa I'd personally advise against using CHKDSK, except as a last resort. Windows truncated some files I cared about once when I used that to fix an NTFS filesystem, and I vowed never to use it again except under dire circumstances. Whatever you do make a backup image first (dd_rescue is also good for this)!

    – transistor1
    Sep 30 '14 at 16:40












  • @billa "Every software available" doesn't tell me exactly what you have tried. Stop being so dramatic.

    – user3241388
    Oct 1 '14 at 16:47


















0














A Linux virtual machine won't help you here. The VM software runs as an application under Windows. When you try to delete the file, from Windows's point of view, this is the VM application trying to delete the file. It won't succeed any better than other programs.



You may have more success if you boot your system under Linux and mount the filesystem. Or that may fail, or that may irrecoverably damage the filesystem. There is evidently something fishy about that file: either some special Windows mode, or the filesystem is damaged. You should run a filesystem repair (chkdsk) under Windows.



You have a Windows problem. Look for a Windows solution.






share|improve this answer























  • I have run chkdsk multiple times and tried multiple softwares like Unlocker but nothing worked.I couldn't even figure out if it is a virus because AntiVirus couldn't detect the file.I will try posting a new question only with the windows part.

    – billa
    Oct 1 '14 at 1:01


















-1














try a simple rm -r old_Cache_000 to check whether the only problem in deleting the directory is because it is non-empty. As the root user you have enough permissions to perform this operation.






share|improve this answer























  • The problem is not the directory,its the file.I posted the question after trying all possible simple commands.

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 6:46











  • please let me know the result of the operation..what exactly was the message after executing the `rm -r' command (permission, dir does not exist, etc) ? if no error messages appeared after the operation, do the files you intended to delete still exist ?

    – grohan
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:08











  • [root@localhost old_Cache_000]# rm -rf * This command does nothing inside the directory,the file still exists in the directory.The following result is for using the same command outside the directory----[root@localhost Default]# rm -rf * rm: cannot remove `old_Cache_000': Directory not empty

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:29












  • normally, recursive delete does the work for me but there seems to be more in your case.. Let me know if you've used the midnight commander tool on your CentOs..

    – grohan
    Sep 30 '14 at 9:05












  • I have used midnight commander tool on CentOS.It shows cannot delete file-no such file or directory.

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 15:47











Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "106"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f158322%2funable-to-delete-a-file-without-permissions-etc%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























3 Answers
3






active

oldest

votes








3 Answers
3






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









0














Not sure why this is posted here since your problem is with a a native windows system.



I would recommend opening a command prompt and running CHKDSK /F then reboot your PC. This will check for problems on your Windows disk. I would highly recommend against trying to delete something through virtualbox if you cannot get rid of it through Windows itself.



You can use hijackthis to delete files and directories which are currently in use a the next reboot.






share|improve this answer























  • Do you think I would have posted this question if it is that simple.Maybe you didn't read the query completely-"I have tried every software available by using google and different solutions but nothing worked."

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:21











  • @billa I'd personally advise against using CHKDSK, except as a last resort. Windows truncated some files I cared about once when I used that to fix an NTFS filesystem, and I vowed never to use it again except under dire circumstances. Whatever you do make a backup image first (dd_rescue is also good for this)!

    – transistor1
    Sep 30 '14 at 16:40












  • @billa "Every software available" doesn't tell me exactly what you have tried. Stop being so dramatic.

    – user3241388
    Oct 1 '14 at 16:47















0














Not sure why this is posted here since your problem is with a a native windows system.



I would recommend opening a command prompt and running CHKDSK /F then reboot your PC. This will check for problems on your Windows disk. I would highly recommend against trying to delete something through virtualbox if you cannot get rid of it through Windows itself.



You can use hijackthis to delete files and directories which are currently in use a the next reboot.






share|improve this answer























  • Do you think I would have posted this question if it is that simple.Maybe you didn't read the query completely-"I have tried every software available by using google and different solutions but nothing worked."

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:21











  • @billa I'd personally advise against using CHKDSK, except as a last resort. Windows truncated some files I cared about once when I used that to fix an NTFS filesystem, and I vowed never to use it again except under dire circumstances. Whatever you do make a backup image first (dd_rescue is also good for this)!

    – transistor1
    Sep 30 '14 at 16:40












  • @billa "Every software available" doesn't tell me exactly what you have tried. Stop being so dramatic.

    – user3241388
    Oct 1 '14 at 16:47













0












0








0







Not sure why this is posted here since your problem is with a a native windows system.



I would recommend opening a command prompt and running CHKDSK /F then reboot your PC. This will check for problems on your Windows disk. I would highly recommend against trying to delete something through virtualbox if you cannot get rid of it through Windows itself.



You can use hijackthis to delete files and directories which are currently in use a the next reboot.






share|improve this answer













Not sure why this is posted here since your problem is with a a native windows system.



I would recommend opening a command prompt and running CHKDSK /F then reboot your PC. This will check for problems on your Windows disk. I would highly recommend against trying to delete something through virtualbox if you cannot get rid of it through Windows itself.



You can use hijackthis to delete files and directories which are currently in use a the next reboot.







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Sep 30 '14 at 6:47









user3241388user3241388

11




11












  • Do you think I would have posted this question if it is that simple.Maybe you didn't read the query completely-"I have tried every software available by using google and different solutions but nothing worked."

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:21











  • @billa I'd personally advise against using CHKDSK, except as a last resort. Windows truncated some files I cared about once when I used that to fix an NTFS filesystem, and I vowed never to use it again except under dire circumstances. Whatever you do make a backup image first (dd_rescue is also good for this)!

    – transistor1
    Sep 30 '14 at 16:40












  • @billa "Every software available" doesn't tell me exactly what you have tried. Stop being so dramatic.

    – user3241388
    Oct 1 '14 at 16:47

















  • Do you think I would have posted this question if it is that simple.Maybe you didn't read the query completely-"I have tried every software available by using google and different solutions but nothing worked."

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:21











  • @billa I'd personally advise against using CHKDSK, except as a last resort. Windows truncated some files I cared about once when I used that to fix an NTFS filesystem, and I vowed never to use it again except under dire circumstances. Whatever you do make a backup image first (dd_rescue is also good for this)!

    – transistor1
    Sep 30 '14 at 16:40












  • @billa "Every software available" doesn't tell me exactly what you have tried. Stop being so dramatic.

    – user3241388
    Oct 1 '14 at 16:47
















Do you think I would have posted this question if it is that simple.Maybe you didn't read the query completely-"I have tried every software available by using google and different solutions but nothing worked."

– billa
Sep 30 '14 at 7:21





Do you think I would have posted this question if it is that simple.Maybe you didn't read the query completely-"I have tried every software available by using google and different solutions but nothing worked."

– billa
Sep 30 '14 at 7:21













@billa I'd personally advise against using CHKDSK, except as a last resort. Windows truncated some files I cared about once when I used that to fix an NTFS filesystem, and I vowed never to use it again except under dire circumstances. Whatever you do make a backup image first (dd_rescue is also good for this)!

– transistor1
Sep 30 '14 at 16:40






@billa I'd personally advise against using CHKDSK, except as a last resort. Windows truncated some files I cared about once when I used that to fix an NTFS filesystem, and I vowed never to use it again except under dire circumstances. Whatever you do make a backup image first (dd_rescue is also good for this)!

– transistor1
Sep 30 '14 at 16:40














@billa "Every software available" doesn't tell me exactly what you have tried. Stop being so dramatic.

– user3241388
Oct 1 '14 at 16:47





@billa "Every software available" doesn't tell me exactly what you have tried. Stop being so dramatic.

– user3241388
Oct 1 '14 at 16:47













0














A Linux virtual machine won't help you here. The VM software runs as an application under Windows. When you try to delete the file, from Windows's point of view, this is the VM application trying to delete the file. It won't succeed any better than other programs.



You may have more success if you boot your system under Linux and mount the filesystem. Or that may fail, or that may irrecoverably damage the filesystem. There is evidently something fishy about that file: either some special Windows mode, or the filesystem is damaged. You should run a filesystem repair (chkdsk) under Windows.



You have a Windows problem. Look for a Windows solution.






share|improve this answer























  • I have run chkdsk multiple times and tried multiple softwares like Unlocker but nothing worked.I couldn't even figure out if it is a virus because AntiVirus couldn't detect the file.I will try posting a new question only with the windows part.

    – billa
    Oct 1 '14 at 1:01















0














A Linux virtual machine won't help you here. The VM software runs as an application under Windows. When you try to delete the file, from Windows's point of view, this is the VM application trying to delete the file. It won't succeed any better than other programs.



You may have more success if you boot your system under Linux and mount the filesystem. Or that may fail, or that may irrecoverably damage the filesystem. There is evidently something fishy about that file: either some special Windows mode, or the filesystem is damaged. You should run a filesystem repair (chkdsk) under Windows.



You have a Windows problem. Look for a Windows solution.






share|improve this answer























  • I have run chkdsk multiple times and tried multiple softwares like Unlocker but nothing worked.I couldn't even figure out if it is a virus because AntiVirus couldn't detect the file.I will try posting a new question only with the windows part.

    – billa
    Oct 1 '14 at 1:01













0












0








0







A Linux virtual machine won't help you here. The VM software runs as an application under Windows. When you try to delete the file, from Windows's point of view, this is the VM application trying to delete the file. It won't succeed any better than other programs.



You may have more success if you boot your system under Linux and mount the filesystem. Or that may fail, or that may irrecoverably damage the filesystem. There is evidently something fishy about that file: either some special Windows mode, or the filesystem is damaged. You should run a filesystem repair (chkdsk) under Windows.



You have a Windows problem. Look for a Windows solution.






share|improve this answer













A Linux virtual machine won't help you here. The VM software runs as an application under Windows. When you try to delete the file, from Windows's point of view, this is the VM application trying to delete the file. It won't succeed any better than other programs.



You may have more success if you boot your system under Linux and mount the filesystem. Or that may fail, or that may irrecoverably damage the filesystem. There is evidently something fishy about that file: either some special Windows mode, or the filesystem is damaged. You should run a filesystem repair (chkdsk) under Windows.



You have a Windows problem. Look for a Windows solution.







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Oct 1 '14 at 0:21









GillesGilles

541k12810951611




541k12810951611












  • I have run chkdsk multiple times and tried multiple softwares like Unlocker but nothing worked.I couldn't even figure out if it is a virus because AntiVirus couldn't detect the file.I will try posting a new question only with the windows part.

    – billa
    Oct 1 '14 at 1:01

















  • I have run chkdsk multiple times and tried multiple softwares like Unlocker but nothing worked.I couldn't even figure out if it is a virus because AntiVirus couldn't detect the file.I will try posting a new question only with the windows part.

    – billa
    Oct 1 '14 at 1:01
















I have run chkdsk multiple times and tried multiple softwares like Unlocker but nothing worked.I couldn't even figure out if it is a virus because AntiVirus couldn't detect the file.I will try posting a new question only with the windows part.

– billa
Oct 1 '14 at 1:01





I have run chkdsk multiple times and tried multiple softwares like Unlocker but nothing worked.I couldn't even figure out if it is a virus because AntiVirus couldn't detect the file.I will try posting a new question only with the windows part.

– billa
Oct 1 '14 at 1:01











-1














try a simple rm -r old_Cache_000 to check whether the only problem in deleting the directory is because it is non-empty. As the root user you have enough permissions to perform this operation.






share|improve this answer























  • The problem is not the directory,its the file.I posted the question after trying all possible simple commands.

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 6:46











  • please let me know the result of the operation..what exactly was the message after executing the `rm -r' command (permission, dir does not exist, etc) ? if no error messages appeared after the operation, do the files you intended to delete still exist ?

    – grohan
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:08











  • [root@localhost old_Cache_000]# rm -rf * This command does nothing inside the directory,the file still exists in the directory.The following result is for using the same command outside the directory----[root@localhost Default]# rm -rf * rm: cannot remove `old_Cache_000': Directory not empty

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:29












  • normally, recursive delete does the work for me but there seems to be more in your case.. Let me know if you've used the midnight commander tool on your CentOs..

    – grohan
    Sep 30 '14 at 9:05












  • I have used midnight commander tool on CentOS.It shows cannot delete file-no such file or directory.

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 15:47
















-1














try a simple rm -r old_Cache_000 to check whether the only problem in deleting the directory is because it is non-empty. As the root user you have enough permissions to perform this operation.






share|improve this answer























  • The problem is not the directory,its the file.I posted the question after trying all possible simple commands.

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 6:46











  • please let me know the result of the operation..what exactly was the message after executing the `rm -r' command (permission, dir does not exist, etc) ? if no error messages appeared after the operation, do the files you intended to delete still exist ?

    – grohan
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:08











  • [root@localhost old_Cache_000]# rm -rf * This command does nothing inside the directory,the file still exists in the directory.The following result is for using the same command outside the directory----[root@localhost Default]# rm -rf * rm: cannot remove `old_Cache_000': Directory not empty

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:29












  • normally, recursive delete does the work for me but there seems to be more in your case.. Let me know if you've used the midnight commander tool on your CentOs..

    – grohan
    Sep 30 '14 at 9:05












  • I have used midnight commander tool on CentOS.It shows cannot delete file-no such file or directory.

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 15:47














-1












-1








-1







try a simple rm -r old_Cache_000 to check whether the only problem in deleting the directory is because it is non-empty. As the root user you have enough permissions to perform this operation.






share|improve this answer













try a simple rm -r old_Cache_000 to check whether the only problem in deleting the directory is because it is non-empty. As the root user you have enough permissions to perform this operation.







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Sep 30 '14 at 5:33









grohangrohan

12




12












  • The problem is not the directory,its the file.I posted the question after trying all possible simple commands.

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 6:46











  • please let me know the result of the operation..what exactly was the message after executing the `rm -r' command (permission, dir does not exist, etc) ? if no error messages appeared after the operation, do the files you intended to delete still exist ?

    – grohan
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:08











  • [root@localhost old_Cache_000]# rm -rf * This command does nothing inside the directory,the file still exists in the directory.The following result is for using the same command outside the directory----[root@localhost Default]# rm -rf * rm: cannot remove `old_Cache_000': Directory not empty

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:29












  • normally, recursive delete does the work for me but there seems to be more in your case.. Let me know if you've used the midnight commander tool on your CentOs..

    – grohan
    Sep 30 '14 at 9:05












  • I have used midnight commander tool on CentOS.It shows cannot delete file-no such file or directory.

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 15:47


















  • The problem is not the directory,its the file.I posted the question after trying all possible simple commands.

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 6:46











  • please let me know the result of the operation..what exactly was the message after executing the `rm -r' command (permission, dir does not exist, etc) ? if no error messages appeared after the operation, do the files you intended to delete still exist ?

    – grohan
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:08











  • [root@localhost old_Cache_000]# rm -rf * This command does nothing inside the directory,the file still exists in the directory.The following result is for using the same command outside the directory----[root@localhost Default]# rm -rf * rm: cannot remove `old_Cache_000': Directory not empty

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 7:29












  • normally, recursive delete does the work for me but there seems to be more in your case.. Let me know if you've used the midnight commander tool on your CentOs..

    – grohan
    Sep 30 '14 at 9:05












  • I have used midnight commander tool on CentOS.It shows cannot delete file-no such file or directory.

    – billa
    Sep 30 '14 at 15:47

















The problem is not the directory,its the file.I posted the question after trying all possible simple commands.

– billa
Sep 30 '14 at 6:46





The problem is not the directory,its the file.I posted the question after trying all possible simple commands.

– billa
Sep 30 '14 at 6:46













please let me know the result of the operation..what exactly was the message after executing the `rm -r' command (permission, dir does not exist, etc) ? if no error messages appeared after the operation, do the files you intended to delete still exist ?

– grohan
Sep 30 '14 at 7:08





please let me know the result of the operation..what exactly was the message after executing the `rm -r' command (permission, dir does not exist, etc) ? if no error messages appeared after the operation, do the files you intended to delete still exist ?

– grohan
Sep 30 '14 at 7:08













[root@localhost old_Cache_000]# rm -rf * This command does nothing inside the directory,the file still exists in the directory.The following result is for using the same command outside the directory----[root@localhost Default]# rm -rf * rm: cannot remove `old_Cache_000': Directory not empty

– billa
Sep 30 '14 at 7:29






[root@localhost old_Cache_000]# rm -rf * This command does nothing inside the directory,the file still exists in the directory.The following result is for using the same command outside the directory----[root@localhost Default]# rm -rf * rm: cannot remove `old_Cache_000': Directory not empty

– billa
Sep 30 '14 at 7:29














normally, recursive delete does the work for me but there seems to be more in your case.. Let me know if you've used the midnight commander tool on your CentOs..

– grohan
Sep 30 '14 at 9:05






normally, recursive delete does the work for me but there seems to be more in your case.. Let me know if you've used the midnight commander tool on your CentOs..

– grohan
Sep 30 '14 at 9:05














I have used midnight commander tool on CentOS.It shows cannot delete file-no such file or directory.

– billa
Sep 30 '14 at 15:47






I have used midnight commander tool on CentOS.It shows cannot delete file-no such file or directory.

– billa
Sep 30 '14 at 15:47


















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Unix & Linux Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2funix.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f158322%2funable-to-delete-a-file-without-permissions-etc%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







-files, rm, windows

Popular posts from this blog

2017 IndyCar Series Contents Series news Teams and drivers Schedule Season summary Footnotes References External links Navigation menu"INDYCAR: Initial 2018 bodywork concepts unveiled"the original"IndyCar confirms switch to Performance Friction brakes in 2017""AJ Foyt Racing will switch to Chevy"the original"Carlos Munoz, Conor Daly will drive for AJ Foyt Racing""Zach Veach's Indy 500 Debut Confirmed with Foyt""No mass exodus from Honda after Ganassi switch""Ex-F1 driver Sato joins Andretti Autosport for 2017 IndyCar season""IndyCar's Ryan Hunter-Reay, sponsor DHL paired through 2020""hhgregg and Andretti Autosport announce partnership for key races in 2016""INDYCAR: Rossi re-signs with Andretti"the original"McLaren Formula 1 - Fernando Alonso to race at Indy 500 with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport""Shank will finally take part in Indy 500 with Harvey, Andretti | MotorSportsTalk""Andretti adds Jack Harvey to Indy 500 field""Ganassi switches to Honda power for 2017""INDYCAR: Chilton returns to Ganassi"the original"IndyCar silly season: Who's going where in 2017?""INDYCAR: Kanaan, NTT Data return to Ganassi"the original"Kimball to remain at Ganassi for 2017""Coyne confirms Bourdais for 2017 IndyCar season""Davison to sub for Bourdais in Indy 500"the original"Gutierrez confirmed for Detroit IndyCar debut""Gutierrez returns with Coyne for rest of 2017 season""Vautier to drive for Coyne at Texas"the original"INDYCAR: Coyne confirms Jones for 2017"the original"Pippa Mann returns to Coyne for Indy 500""Karam, Dreyer & Reinbold teaming up again for Indianapolis 500""Pigot to return to Ed Carpenter Racing""Hildebrand confirmed as full-time Ed Carpenter driver""Veach to replace injured Hildebrand at Barber"the originalNew Team Harding Racing Enters Chaves for 101st Indianapolis 500"Juncos Racing Announces Entry in 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 :: Juncos Racing""Juncos confirms Pigot for Indy 500""Saavedra confirmed in Juncos' second 500 entry"the original"Lazier confirms Indy 500 run after son's USF2000 debut"the original"Claman DeMelo to race for RLLR at Sonoma"the original"Rahal signs Servia and ace engineer for 2017""IndyCar: Aleshin returns with Schmidt"the original"Aleshin replaced by Saavedra for Toronto""Jack Harvey will pilot SPM No. 7 car at Watkins Glen, Sonoma""Jay Howard confirmed in Tony Stewart's supported SPM Indy entry""INDYCAR: Newgarden to wave the flag at Penske"the original"Pagenaud opts for No. 1 in 2017"the original"Penske confirms Newgarden for 2017""Montoya to stay with Team Penske in 2017""Target leaving IndyCar after 27 seasons with Chip Ganassi""Cavin: IndyCar could see complete driver/team shakeup in 2017""End of the road for KV Racing?""KV Racing confirms closure, equipment sold to Juncos""Juncos confirms IndyCar Series entry"the original"Juncos readies IndyCar program, aims for '17 500"the original"Harding Racing to add Texas, Pocono to schedule"the original"Sato signs with Andretti Autosport for 2017""INDYCAR: Aleshin in Doubt at SPM"the original"Long Beach notebook: JR Hildebrand breaks hand""Hildebrand cleared to return at Phoenix"the original"Bourdais to undergo surgery on multiple fractures""Aleshin loses Schmidt Peterson IndyCar ride""Saavedra in at SPM for Pocono, Gateway"the original"Bourdais to make return at Gateway"the original"The IndyCar Grand Prix no longer is sponsored by Angie's List""2017 IndyCar Series rulebook""2017 Verizon IndyCar Series Official Rulebook"Official websiteeeeee

Word for a person who has no opinion about whether god existsWord for having a definite opinion while simultaneously withholding judgment?What's the opposite of “newcomer? Is ”veteran" OK?What do you call an “atheist” who might believe in an afterlife?What's a word for someone who wants to voice opinions but not have them challenged?Word for someone who dismisses contrary opinions as irrational?Somone who thinks they are overly special/out of the ordinaryIs there a word, phrase or idiom for “a person who is incapable of thinking about the future”?The belief that a god is human-likeA word for a non-famous person/thing you have heard a lot aboutAdjective for a person who enjoys taking care of their appearance

Can I sign legal documents with a smiley face?Do Legal Documents Require Signing In Standard Pen Colors?Is it possible to legally prohibit someone from linking to specific pages on your website?Do scans of signed documents have the same legal power as the original document?What can I do if I signed an excessively restrictive contract?Can other party sneak in new contract terms via termination notice?How to prove that someone forged my signature on a contract that I was not aware of?In Australia, Is it legal to sign a document as somebody else?making a contract that includes video licenceLease dispute, over email and text messageIf you must include all of the natural language prose in a legal document, or if it can be abstracted outE-signing: legal ramifications of “identifying” a person